Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Automatic Locks

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Locks

Folks,

Just got a 95 Discovery. With it I got one key, and a keyfob (with one button) that doesn't seem to do anything. What is that fob for? Door locks? Alarm?

I would really like automatic locks in my truck, is there a kit to add them? Can I just pull a set from another disco that is appropriately equipped? I have to lock the passenger side front door with the key every time we go somewhere, and it's annoying as hell (or remember to reach across after my passenger exits).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Steven

Old 11-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

it has auto locks and an alarm. The button on the fob does it all with one press for alarm/ lock (3 flashes from truck lights) and another press for disarm / unlock (one flash from truck lights).

Get a new battery for that fob and see if it works. When you press the button does the small red led in the fob illuminate?

IF YES... then check your door lock fuses.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Drifting

The ligth on the fob flashes when I press it, but nothing else happens. Is it possible the wireless receiver is missing? Where is that located?

I'm asking because I pulled a panel off of the headliner console near the windshield, and there's a set of (I think) 4 wires that dont' attach to anything.

-Steven

Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Drifting

I have the workshop manual, it was actually quite hard to find. I do not have owner's manual, and I don't know what RAVE is. I would love to know where to find all of this documentation, I really don't mind reading everything I can find.

Thanks!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Winching

That dangling plug is normal.. it is for additional accessories when the vehicle is ordered. Cheaper to supply the vehicle with ONE wiring harness than several different variations based on accessories.

The battery in the fob could still be dead... doesn't take much juice to light a led. change the batt and then check all the fuses under your steering wheel.

Do you have the manual? Have you downloaded RAVE yet and memorized it?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Winching
Default You win...

Apparently we were typing our last responses at the same time.

In my signature you will find EVERYTHING you may need (at this point) contained within the RAVE link. Once downloaded, go to the PDF section and find the Discovery files for your model year.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is also a section on programing the remote, if the battery doesn't solve it I'd try that next. also if you didn't know you have to lock your doors with the key in the drivers door, it should lock everything and turn the alarm on, but you have to unlock it in the drivers door too, or your alarm will go off cause only the drivers door controls the alarm and power locks.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To reinforce what Tweak just said, when you lock the driver's door with the key, the side light should flash three times and all the doors should lock as well. Sometimes my passenger rear door lock does not activate when the others do. And if you unlock anything other than the driver's door alarm will sound until you place the key in driver's door and cycle it.

The push button seemed to be going bad on my fob so I quit using it totally.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Once locked the red LED on the instrument cluster should flash slowly.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Drifting

Locking the driver's door with the key only locks the driver's door. No flashing, no nothing. That's why I was originally thinking that I might be missing the receiver unit or something.

Quick Reply: Automatic Locks