Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Autozone sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Autozone sucks

I say "I need brakes for my 99 series ONE discovery " what do I get? Disco TWO brakes. I go back and say "you gave me the wrong ones. What does it say you have for a 98?" and they so "oh, yeah, our bad you need these" gave me pads that look way closer but had a brake sensor cable. Turns out...they're RRC brakes. Jeez. Does anyone have the autozone part number for our brakes so I can go get the right ones finally? Fronts? And I could do without the "that's what you get for getting crappy duralast stuff from crappy autozone" ugh. So frustrating.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I asked for gasket paper one time, and the kid acted like he had no idea what I was talking about. The knowledge is gone. Auto Zone is for your wanna-be fast and furious four cylinder crowds. Advanced Auto is a little better but still low on the intel.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Autozone guy is a gearhead friend from high school. He would never live it down if he gave me a wrong part, or no discount. lol

Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The RRC and DI use the same brakes.
If you have a '99 Disco Series one you MUST order parts for a '98 DI.
All parts computers in autoparts stores only show the DII as a '99.
Technically they are correct as the DII actually came out in '98 but since Rover had excess stock of the DI in the US they sold the DI version until the stock was gone and then started in with the DII.
Production of the DI actually stopped in '98 from what I have been told and the DII was introduced in '98 as a '99 model year but carry over '98 DI's were stickered and sold as '99's.
So moral of the story...order parts for a '98 DI.
And you need to know what parts you need, I needed O-rings for the oil and tans cooler lines, I took the old ones in and said I need 8 of these.
"What are they for?"
Me-"If I tell you your computer will not list them, do you have some in a bin somewhere?"
Him-"I need to know what they are for"
I told him, he didnt list any, "Just like I said, I'll just order on-line like always" and walked out.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the 2nd set they gave, and just cut off the wire or yank it out. I did, works fine.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Are you guys sure? The only thing that set me off was I was looking in ab's catalog and the d1 pads they show seem to have a different shape than the RRC ones I got. Mine stock pads have more of a taper at the bottom than the rrc ones. But if you guys say they fit.... I just can't check bc the big jack is up at my dads house so I have no way of popping a tire off right now. I'll post the picture from the AB catalog.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

RRC up top disco1 on bottom.

Name:  333e15ad.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  140.5 KB

Old 05-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenk
Use the 2nd set they gave, and just cut off the wire or yank it out. I did, works fine.
I did the same thing...although I bought my pads from Napa...they too had the wires...I just cut them off and was done. When i took off my original pads, they looked nothing like the ones for the D1 pictured above (STC9191ATE)...I'm sure that the spring will help with some noise (not that I've ever had noise from my brakes). The pads i got from NAPA also showed the same part number as the RRC. They fit perfectly, but make sure that you also get the replacement brake hardware kit (cotter pins and springs) and re-use the metal plates from your old pads, just put brake quiet on the outside of the new pad then let it set for a few minutes then put the metal plates on then install to the caliper. Makes it easier to do one pad at a time; remove one pad, use fresh DOT4 brake fluid to clean the pistons and then use a large screwdriver/prybar to put the pistons back into the caliper (remove the brake fluid reservoir cap or loosen the bleeder valve when compressing the pistons to make it easier). When you've done one side pad then remove and do the same for the other pad. Easier than fighting 4 pistons at once to get them to compress into the caliper!!

BTW, everything I got from NAPA fit like a glove and I'm very happy with the stopping.

Last edited by vegas99d1; 05-17-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yup, have the hardware kit feel pretty good about the swap. I was just pissed last sat when I was trying to do them and found out they were the wrong size. I was just worried about becoming twice as pissed if I went back (I have to go 20 mins to my dads house, where my tools are) to change em again and the pads were wrong again. So sweet. Thanks guys. Guess I'll just go for it. Maybe AB catalog is wrong? Or maybe they both fit.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:37 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

How much of a hurry are you for them? I'm running these on my wife's '97 Discovery.
Amazon.com: Wagner PD520 ThermoQuiet Non-Asbestos Organic Disc Brake Pad Set: Automotive
$36 shipped.

Quick Reply: Autozone sucks