Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bad cam timing cause no start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 09:55 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad cam timing cause no start?

TLDR: New engine guts. Don't recall setting the timing correctly. Would that be enough to cause a no start?

Looking for some advice on a no start...

Just rebuilt my D1 4.0 (175k, ran fine aside from leaking like a sieve). Crowler cam, oil pump gears, timing chain, head work, porting, mustang injectors, and all new accessories hanging off the front. And getting no start. Plugs are sparking. Fuel is flowing. Injectors are spraying. Everything seems to be tidied up as it should be.

Starter motor goes and goes. On the initial crank, I'll get a good "bang!" like the engine wants to fire, and then nothing but a touch of smoke.

The ONLY thing that comes to mind: I don't recall lining up the cam and crankshafts at 6 and 12 o'clock. I recall spinning the crank and watching the cam move accordingly, but I don't actually remember setting the timing positions.

So my question: is bad timing (or horrible timing) enough to cause the engine not to fire? If that's the case, I'm comfortable resigning myself to the tear down process once more, just looking for a bit of advice before doing so.

cheers

(P.S. - please be gentle. this is my first experience in anything engine-related.)

Old 09-16-2019, 04:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a Frankenstein machine. now you have a Frankenrover

Old 09-16-2019, 09:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by jbunner
Sounds like a Frankenstein machine. now you have a Frankenrover
Not really. The Crower cam is built for a Rover and the Ford injectors are a direct fit upgrade.
Sorry, IDK much about timing, but not having TDC set correctly might cause a no start.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

You already know the answer....... There isn't a sure fire way of knowing your off by a tooth other than eyeballs on the dimples. Make sure all the connectors have found a home too, before you rip the front cover off. If the sprockets are off by more than a tooth you may have a bigger problem, valves contacting pistons, that is the reason for the tick marks don't ya know.......