Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bad master cylinder or ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad master cylinder or ???

I need help , and to many of you it might be obvious where the problem is coming but I need help I don't want to mess with the wrong part if I don't have too.

So how can I tell the difference between a master cylinder going bad or if it is just leaking from between the brake fluid reservoir and master cylinder?

This will be hard to explain but also it is moist from the center part of the master cylinder I believe its called the servo unit as I recall from reading. So I don't know if it is leaking from there or its normal for it to be moist, or should it be dry? Should I replace that part?

Here are some of my symptoms:

1.Squishy brakes, meaning it takes a long time for the brakes to actually come to a stop, or in other words brakes take long to react.

2.Low brake fluid levels in the reservoir.

I know sometimes people get frustrated at "dumb" questions but I need help.
I have a few pictures that may be able to help with my questions.

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Bad master cylinder or ???-wp_001424.jpg   Bad master cylinder or ???-wp_001425.jpg   Bad master cylinder or ???-wp_001426.jpg   Bad master cylinder or ???-wp_001427.jpg   Bad master cylinder or ???-wp_001428.jpg  

Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Hard to say 100% where it is leaking from, I would just replace it with a new Land Rover one and be done with it.
You can buy a rebuild kit for cheap but I dont trust myself with stuff like that.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

2x on not attempting the rebuild....and fwiw a lot of us have had trouble with aftermarket master cylinders.....go with a good part here

Old 03-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Mudding

Spike555 so just replace the entire thing? The cylinder and the servo unit? I will go check out my parts truck to get that one out this weekend. Thank you for the help.

XCELLER8 thanks. I don't believe I would do a good job rebuilding this. I prefer taking the parts off and just putting it back correctly with a working part.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Could wipe off the rubber seal at bottom of the fluid container and see if it returns at that spot.

There's mud splatters inside your engine compartment! That usually means a good time was had by all.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Mudding

That is a great idea Savannah I will go do that.

Yes the mud was from this past weekend went on a new trail and hell was it exciting !! I will go and take a pictures and upload them. Also I'm proud to say that on the drive home and still today I drive around town I haven't washed it and people look at me like WTH. . . I just look and say "YEEEAAAAA this is MY TRUCK and use it for what it's for".

Old 03-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LRchick
Spike555 so just replace the entire thing? The cylinder and the servo unit? I will go check out my parts truck to get that one out this weekend. Thank you for the help.

XCELLER8 thanks. I don't believe I would do a good job rebuilding this. I prefer taking the parts off and just putting it back correctly with a working part.
Yes, that is what I would do, buy the Land Rover part and be done with it, after market, like already said, tends to not work.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 AM
Mudding

Do what buzz said first. though you do have a parts truck. I would wipe the area dry. then lightly apply pressure to the top of the reservior. If the seals at the bottom are gone(damaged) you will be able to visualize the leaking. I had the same issue with mine.(exact same symptoms) I tested like this and found the seals were bad on mine. ordered the new reservoir with seals and such, and viola no more leak. Make sure to bleed brakes well either way, it will require a good bit after exposing the system to air. good luck!

Old 03-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Walko327
Do what buzz said first. though you do have a parts truck. I would wipe the area dry. then lightly apply pressure to the top of the reservior. If the seals at the bottom are gone(damaged) you will be able to visualize the leaking. I had the same issue with mine.(exact same symptoms) I tested like this and found the seals were bad on mine. ordered the new reservoir with seals and such, and viola no more leak. Make sure to bleed brakes well either way, it will require a good bit after exposing the system to air. good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I'll get this going soon and I am sure that its gonna be the same problem, or at least I am hoping it will be a small issue.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

FYI, you can replace just the two rubber grommets/seals without buying the whole rebuild kit. The part are on Dweb. Audi uses the same MC on one of their vehicles and you can buy them separately.
http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showt...ferrerid=13769

Last edited by fishEH; 03-07-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Bad master cylinder or ???