Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bedliner for interior?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bedliner for interior?

Has anyone done a spay-on/roll-on bedliner material for an alternative to the interior carpet and plastic side walls. I don't know if I'de do the headliner as well, don't know if that would loose or retain the insulative layer that the headiner provides? It would be sweet to just hose it out. I want to add tie down points and get them covered in the bedliner too. I know I've seen some pics floating around of some similar projects. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did it on my 4runner

Name:  IMG_0363.jpg
Views: 5096
Size:  84.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0368.jpg
Views: 1774
Size:  287.1 KB

Did the entire floor. Didn't take too long, used about 3/4 of the bigger contraner thay sell [1/2gal?] It held up great. However I removed the insulation, and cannot comment on if it will stay hard ontop of soft insulation.

I had 33" Mud tires so the road noise was a little excess.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Three Wheeling

I did my ceiling in chalkboard paint. Haven't tested out the sidewalk chalk on it yet but it sure beats a saggy headliner. There are pictures in my profile. It looks great by the way, and I haven't noticed a difference in sound. Sure does sound different with NO headliner in, sounds like a house with a tin roof when it rains.
I have contemplated bedlinering the floor but when I looked under the carpet it looked like it would be a hard undertaking trying to hide or re-route all the wires.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco-Nate
I did my ceiling in chalkboard paint. Haven't tested out the sidewalk chalk on it yet but it sure beats a saggy headliner.

wonder where you got that idea? lol..

before you put the headliner in you should have brushed the whole thing with cheap white chalk and then brushed it all off. then it would be ready for use. i use indoor chalk for children cuz its nice and chunky.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the info guys. Spencer, how did you re-route your wires. I had a thought about running some narrow tube/hose w/ a slit down the side from up front along the floor and just cover it along w/ the everything else and open the slit abck up to run the wires.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have removed the headliner and carpets, padding etc. from my 97 Disco. I am retaping and rerouting the wiring bundles as I go. I do have some minor corrosion issues to address. There are also a lot of factory things that I don't care for, like the use of tape and stick on dots to conceal but not seal the multiple holes and such from the original manufacturing processes. I plan to seal all those little areas that allow water to get in.

My question is: what benefit does the bedliner really provide? A painted surface would do the same thing. If you are not careful, you will end up with moisture entrapped between the bedliner and the floor panels which accelerates any corrosion issues.

I don't plan on recarpetting. I do have some heavy duty Michelin Floor mats that work just fine.

You can get various conduit type stuff for running wires in. I really don't like the way the stock wire bundles are done in these vehicles. I have been rewrapping, rerouting, reclamping mine as I go. I did a lot of work with military aircraft and missile wiring in the years past, so I am improving mine as I go. I will most likely relocate some of the items, like all the electrical components under the driver's seat.

I already snatched out the factory CD changer. More stuff to be done as I go along.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Overlanding

Whats that you say about wiring up a few SAM's on your Rover? I would like to get on that list please...would go great with the double SAW's mounted on my cargo rack... lol

Old 08-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Zeus
Thanks for the info guys. Spencer, how did you re-route your wires. I had a thought about running some narrow tube/hose w/ a slit down the side from up front along the floor and just cover it along w/ the everything else and open the slit abck up to run the wires.
No need to in my 4runner. There were only 2 or three exposed in my 4runner and they just ran from under the door sill to under the seats. I coverd them with wire loom and they were good.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

My question is: what benefit does the bedliner really provide? A painted surface would do the same thing. If you are not careful, you will end up with moisture entrapped between the bedliner and the floor panels which accelerates any corrosion issues.

I don't plan on recarpetting. I do have some heavy duty Michelin Floor mats that work just fine.
I drove around for a while without carpet in my truck. First bedliner took down the noise a bit. Second the slipper feeling of a plain metal floor sucks. When there a little bit of dirt on the ground its even worse. Your feet will slip easier and if your floor is painted it will remove the paint. I even tried a floor mat, and the floor mat just ended up slipping around.

Hurculiner is STUPID grippy