Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Best years for Discovery series 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Best years for Discovery series 1

According to msn autos, 1998 was the best year for discovery 1 in terms of general reliability. But what do you guys say about this? If ever i went for another disco 1 to which year would you personally recommend?

Old 06-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Which year is best? Really? '97.
I also prefer redheads with big **** and a nice round ***.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

1994 of course.

(Does my sig block show I have a '94? EDIT: No it doesn't. :P )

Old 06-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The year alone is nowhere near as critical as the current condition of the beast when you are considering the purchase. 96 AND EARLIER ARE EMISSIONS EXEMPT.

95 AND EARLIER HAVE LESS ELECTRONICS AND SENSORS.

I HAVE AN EARLY 97, WHICH IS IDENTICAL TO THE 96, SINCE LR TENDED TO MAKE CHANGES WITHOUT REGARD TO THE EXACT MODEL YEAR. (example Pre-AEL vs AEL)

Some say the 98 is the better, but you already have one of those RIGHT?

The best one is the one that was least abused AND WAS MAINTAINED CORRECTLY AND ON A REGULAR BASIS.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

well, the '99 and early '99 D1 are identical, and newest. '95 &'95 have distributor type ignition(which I dont preferably like, but each their own)

But so far Spikes answer has my vote. Espcially if their "true" redheads.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really like the Polynessian Island types, or the Nordic Beauty Goddess like Tiger let get away, or those really cute Scottish Lasses with the absolutely moonglow white complexion, gorgeous green eyes like emeralds and that flaming Red Hair.....

Even a tattoo freak has some reall appeal.

As far as a Rover goes, I'd like to have Greg Norman's supercharged RR Sport or even better yet, his megayacht.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

Lets get seriouse here!!!
Yes danny, condition is one of the biggest factors in buying a discovery or any vehicle for that matter. However putting the condition factor aside for a moment lets focus on mpg, engine, stability, reliability, fuel system, interior, recalls, suspension etc. An unrelated but relevent example: Discovery series 2 has increased horsepower and torque, has increased stability, slightly altered but favorable interior, the rear end was extended slightly, but the disco 2 also gets a deal LESS mpg then discovery 1. With that said, ive heard alot of talk about older discoveries having some kind of lucas engine (im not at all familier with lucas products with exceaptions to star wars!) Where in contrast the engine in my 98 is supposidly a buick engine. Obviously the drivetrain is slightly different in the olfer diacos as compared to the later disco 1's (rear driveshaft fix for example) etc.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Banned

The intent is to gain a better more detailed understand of discovery as a whole, what works best and when. My new projection is this years upcomming tax returns. Depending on what i get i think ive decided to use it not toward fixing up my disco, but rather buying a better condtioned disco 1. Im im lucky i may find a good deal on a disco 2, but for now im going to assume the next to be another discovery 1. Ive been looking at several older ones (96-97) and need to know about what i lay be jumping into if and when that day comes.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

My 99 hasn't had any catastrophic stuff but has mowed through two starters, a intake manifold gasket and has had seemingly endless o2sensor issues. And the exhaust fell off at the muffler from rot. Otherwise it's awesome. Haha. Did I just type that?
Oh and the rear window ecu shorted and the headliner touches the floor. Otherwise might as well be a bentley.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Which year is best? Really? '97.
I also prefer redheads with big **** and a nice round ***.
Me too

Quick Reply: Best years for Discovery series 1