Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Blacked Out Wheels On My Disco

Old 10-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atancreti
Speaking of lugs, today I had to take a tire off so I could grind some rust off and my god I had to take a sludge hammer and beat the tire off! It was ceased on there! I hope I never get a flat on the road, If so, I am screwed.
It's the mating of two metals (aluminum to steel) under high pressure. Combine that with salt/water, and vibration and you are basically galvanizing (transferring aluminum to the steel.) Your wheels and hubs are bonding at the molecular level.

Slap on some anti-seize compound on your hub next time before you mount your wheel and you will never have this problem again.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ylo.....you use the same rustoleum hi temp. yours look niiiiice, cant wait to join that club.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just telling my wife today that I wanted to photoshop mine black to see if I would like it. I do. Thanks for showing this. There are no aftermarkets that look good on them.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI - I painted my 1st two off the truck but then painted the 2nd two while on the truck. It was easier to just tape the lugs and tires (and cover the rotors behind) then removing them and still taping off the tires anyways.

I just used a couple of sander blocks but didn't work too hard on the sanding. I used wally world's rattle can automotive primer (might have been grey or black, doesn't matter) and then a couple of rounds of flat black. They've held up well so far. Either way, $20 worth of paint/supplies beats $400 for new steelies...for now.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:48 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
ylo.....you use the same rustoleum hi temp. yours look niiiiice, cant wait to join that club.
Thank you, and no sir, I used Rustoleum High Permformance Wheel Paint.

(1)Duplicolor Self Etching Primer
(2)Rustoleum Primer (black)
(3)Rustoleum High Performance Wheel Paint (black)
(4)Duplicolor Semi-Gloss Clear Coat

Held up VERY well to the Seattle winters, brake dust (read : WET), and several off roading trips. Took my time, lots of thin coats, and lots of patience to allow everything to dry.

Last edited by yloDiscoII; 10-17-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sludge Hammer? Sludge is the effluent (removed solids) at a wastewater treatment plant. Sledge hammer is a large headed hammer. Ceased? They seize in place due to corrosion.
A light coating of anti-seize will prevent that and make it easy to remove.

Those are not removable caps on the lug nuts. They are there to make it look pretty. They do deform easily especially if the wrong size socket and an air wrench is used by an over eager tire jockey.

The lug nuts are 1 1/16 inch in size. If yours are damaged, they should be replaced so that you can remove them in case of a flat tire on the road.

I replaced my damaged ones (all 20) with the solid ones used on the earlier Range Rover Classics. No stainless caps to deform, just solid lug nuts.

I also bought one of the old school 4 way lug wrenches. The one that is a large T- shape. Advanced Auto and other chains have them for around 20 bucks. You can get incredible torque with the 4 way lug wrench for loosening lug nuts that some idiot over tightened. And the solid caps will not deform like those purty ones do.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 10-17-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bought 4 cans of stove hi temp spray paint and 1 bottle of glossy clear coat. I wouldn't really need to prime would I?

Old 10-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
Just bought 4 cans of stove hi temp spray paint and 1 bottle of glossy clear coat. I wouldn't really need to prime would I?
i didnt, i just sanded and painted them

Old 10-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

work out so far? I don't want chipped wheels later down the road. I figure once done always done, I don't want to play with it later haha

Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by calebbo
work out so far? I don't want chipped wheels later down the road. I figure once done always done, I don't want to play with it later haha
Scuff them up, prime them, and spray a bunch of light coats.....like you said, do it once and be done with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blacked Out Wheels On My Disco