Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bound up rear sway bar...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bound up rear sway bar...

I should have taken pics of the rear sway bar bound up....

After a stint at the OHV park, I noticed that the passenger side was much lower than the driver side. At first I though the TF spring finally failed. I called Justin and left a msg, but when I hung up, I noticed something. The rear left link was upside down, bottom link now hitting the spring, bar twisted.

I unbolted and relaxed the bar. It seems straight still....? I did notice the link bushings are shot. I think I might have found why the partial unevenness, even when I had the stock suspension.

Put it back on correctly and not it is back to almost normal... I think it will happen again. I think the rear swaybar should be disconnected when off-road....

Old 07-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I'll post up pics at the park, as soon as PB is back up...

Old 07-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

I think you'll find a lot of D1 owners lose the swaybars completely. I haven't had mine for a couple years now.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

How does it handle? I am a corning freak minded......

Roads that I drive though are twisted mountain/hill roads. I do load my Disco up, so handling and safety is a big concern of mine.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine came off when my OME HD rear springs and new shocks went on and have never been back on since.

I have put over 700 pounds of scrap in there and hauled it at highway speeds and down thru backstreets of Pittsburgh, potholes, brick roads, old decaying bridges and lots of other bad driving conditions and it does fine. Mine has no rear interior left in it. When empty if I hit speed bumps too hard, the rear does bounce one time but it comes right back down tracking true.

It handles great with as much weight as I can stuff in the rear. And the clearance is great. They say the sways limit the articulation quite a bit but I am no authority on articulation of these vehicles.

If yours got twisted (stressed) I would feel safer with it off primarily because once you have distorted a piece lie that, i do not believe you can ever get it back to original form and function. The metal has a "memory" it will tend to return to a distorted form when stressed adequately.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Okay....i will remove it and try it out. Since I am going to pick up my wife and her friends from the airport on Saturday, I guess I can use them as guinea pigs....

i will report back....

Old 07-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I think this is when it happened.....

Name:  20120717_131305.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  316.5 KB

Old 07-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

I think it handles fine. However, I had 2" RTE HD springs before and have 3" RTE HD springs now. The HD springs help to limit body roll. On the other hand RRC's didn't come with swaybars at all and people aren't dying left and right. The truck will handle differently without sways but its just something you have to get used to. You can't drive it like a sports car but I've never had any issue going moderately fast on twisty roads. The widened stance provided by your TF wheels will also help.

I'd recommend you disconnect the sways at the axle and drive it for a while. Give yourself a chance to adapt your driving style to it. If you still don't like it simply hook them back up. Or you can make quick disconnects.

Most people don't realized how limited their articulation is until they pull their sways.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Old 07-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
If yours got twisted (stressed) I would feel safer with it off primarily because once you have distorted a piece lie that, i do not believe you can ever get it back to original form and function. The metal has a "memory" it will tend to return to a distorted form when stressed adequately.
sway bars are made of spring steel, he hasnt distorted anything.

let us know what you think taking them off... ive been debating doing the same to mine (as the travel really sucks with them on) but would like to still use the truck on the twisty roads here.

Quick Reply: Bound up rear sway bar...