Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bound up rear sway bar...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
sway bars are made of spring steel, he hasnt distorted anything.

let us know what you think taking them off... ive been debating doing the same to mine (as the travel really sucks with them on) but would like to still use the truck on the twisty roads here.
A lot will also depend on what shocks you're running. In hindsight, a lot of my limitation was the OME Nitro shocks I was running. Their travel sucked. I've heard there are some new OME Nitro shocks with more travel but IDK. IMO any lifted D1 should be running at least a 10" travel shock, period.

So if your shocks have crappy travel don't bother removing your sways because that won't make a bit of difference.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

found a pic of when the bar was bound up.....look close to the left side of the sway bar....see the link is upside down....

Name:  20120717_132150.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  333.6 KB

Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Removed my sways with little change in roll. Even with old stock suspension. Full of gear might be different.

Even without long travel shocks, sway removal will result in more even tire-road pressure, important with open diffs.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are making me wanna do this before the next time i go out... seems the only place i get stuck is when i lift a wheel, which with the sways happens a lot sooner than i think it should!

wheelgarage, let us know how you like it after you rip them off!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will do!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sway bars are made of spring steel, he hasnt distorted anything.

let us know what you think taking them off... ive been debating doing the same to mine (as the travel really sucks with them on) but would like to still use the truck on the twisty roads here.

Are you sure about that? I just went down and looked at my removed one. Looks like bar stock that was formed and the ends flattened and drilled. Anyway, I would just remove them and leave them off, but it is up to him.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Are you sure about that? I just went down and looked at my removed one. Looks like bar stock that was formed and the ends flattened and drilled. Anyway, I would just remove them and leave them off, but it is up to him.

yes, otherwise as you pointed out... it would have deformed. the shape doesnt necessarily determine the material.

these things go through thousands/millions of cycles (much like your springs) and need to not fatigue or deform.

unless rover does it differently than every other car ive ever seen...

Old 07-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes, otherwise as you pointed out... it would have deformed. the shape doesnt necessarily determine the material. STEEL

these things go through thousands/millions of cycles (much like your springs) and need to not fatigue or deform. The ones that sag on the rear of all older Disco's?

unless rover does it differently than every other car ive ever seen...

Steel start off as molten and is either poured into slab or bar and processed from there. Springs are made from bar. If it distorted or flipped as he reported and is "close to what it was" before it flipped and rode with one side lower than the other, then it has seen stresses beyond what it was designed to see. It may not be obvious to the naked eye, but there are internal stresses. The questions are "how bad were they? ""Will it tend to return to that same flipped over position again more readily" "Who really cares, ain't mine"?

But since I have the one I removed, which is still in original form, I will gladly ship it to you for the cost of shipping and a small Rum Tax Surcharge.

Send me your address if you would like my removed one.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 07-19-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remove mine when I go wheeling..it takes 5 minutes

Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Steel start off as molten and is either poured into slab or bar and processed from there. Springs are made from bar. If it distorted or flipped as he reported and is "close to what it was" before it flipped and rode with one side lower than the other, then it has seen stresses beyond what it was designed to see. It may not be obvious to the naked eye, but there are internal stresses. The questions are "how bad were they? ""Will it tend to return to that same flipped over position again more readily" "Who really cares, ain't mine"?

But since I have the one I removed, which is still in original form, I will gladly ship it to you for the cost of shipping and a small Rum Tax Surcharge.

Send me your address if you would like my removed one.
Danny I think you're over analyzing this. The ball joint flipped up when he articulated. Much the same way a leaf spring shackle can invert. It's really not a big deal. I'm sure his sway bar is just fine. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Quick Reply: Bound up rear sway bar...