Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:06 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake issue

Hello fellow disco enthusiasts. I need some guidance on my brakes. Over the last 40 miles my brake peddle has gotten very soft and is now almost at the floor. I replaced the master cylinder within the last 8000 miles. There is no change on the fluid level. At the very end of a 20 mile drive home yesterday my disco acted as if the emergency brake was engaged. it does not feel that way now. But i dont want to push it. Any ideas? 96 disco, 190000 miles.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If you have no external fluid leaks and your level is remaining the same, I would think you got a bad M/C, was it new, used or rebuilt and did you get a warranty?

Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 AM
5th Gear

It was new. But unfortunately it is past warranty.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:07 AM
5th Gear

It looks like i may have a faulty cap on the ms. I still have the old 1 and will try swapping them out and rebleeding the brakes. As far as the emergency brake goes, i am going to tear down the drum on the driveshaft and clean it. Last night was the 1st time i had that problem but it was also the first time the truck has been above 50 mph since being brought back from the dead 8000 miles ago. Mike do u think i am on the right trail?

Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by paulthepipe
Or the push rod is too long. Not the rocker arm push rod but the one that goes into the back of the master cylinder. Not having pulled the master on my truck I don't know if land rover found a way around them but every other master cylinder I've seen does. I even came up with a new way for one person to bleed the brakes by them self. Loosen bleed screw attach tight fitting tube that's been primed with brake fluid and submerged the hose end in a container of brake fluid. Now you can just pump the pedal and fill the reservoir. No air can enter when the pedal returns. I made a video of this, it worked on all four calipers. I even had a stuck bleeder and this popped the blockage out. It's an awsome video. Has anyone else ever tried this or know a reason one should not attempt such a procedure?
link to your video please.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Paul. I haven't seen your video. But am I understanding that you are filling the reservoir from the bleed nozzle? Or does the hose go into the reservior?

Old 02-23-2014, 12:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Or the push rod is too long. Not the rocker arm push rod but the one that goes into the back of the master cylinder. Not having pulled the master on my truck I don't know if land rover found a way around them but every other master cylinder I've seen does. I even came up with a new way for one person to bleed the brakes by them self. Loosen bleed screw attach tight fitting tube that's been primed with brake fluid and submerged the hose end in a container of brake fluid. Now you can just pump the pedal and fill the reservoir. No air can enter when the pedal returns. I made a video of this, it worked on all four calipers. I even had a stuck bleeder and this popped the blockage out. It's an awsome video. Has anyone else ever tried this or know a reason one should not attempt such a procedure?
That's not a new way of bleeding brakes. My Dad showed me that when I was about 5. You can thread a nut onto the tubing you use to provide weight and keep the end submerged. A glass jar works well for this.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Would if I knew how. I would like to show off my sunroof drain tubes as well. There are eight of them now
I think the only way is to post to a photo bucket account or similar then link it here, don't think you can direct link from your computer

Old 02-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep your reservoir filled and close the cap tight. Attach a hose to your bleeder screw. Put the other end in a jar fill with brake fluid (I tape mine to the jar. It's overkill but whatever) then loosen bleeder screw and pump your breaks (I pump 15 times). Then tighten bleeder screw, open reservoir cap, refill. Close cap. Repeat.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:16 PM

Hi

I'm a new member and I have a brake question as well. I have just dealt with what you described. I put two AFTERMARKET master cylinders on a 96 disco. Both would lock the brakes up. I put a used master cylinder on and it solved the problem. The problem I have now is that with new brake pads, new defender 90 front caliber, replaced master cylinder which all seem to be working according to my mechanic. However, the disco is still hard to stop. Brakes will not "lock" down. The ABS light is on. I have zero mechanical knowledge. My mechanic seems to think it may be the booster. I have owned the disco for less than 500 miles but can't remember how it stopped before the break problems started. So...is the disco just hard to stop??

Quick Reply: Brake issue