Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Brake knocking/sloppy pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 09:07 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake knocking/sloppy pads

Hello everyone,

I have a new to me disco one that I am currently fixing up. I am trying to track down a knocking noise that changes with wheel speed and goes away with any brake pressure.

I have narrowed it down a bit as the font end was a bit of a disaster. The drivers side had an insane amount of play in the wheel bearing (lock washer wasn't even bent over!) and the swivel was way out of adjustment/corroded and completely dry.

I replaced:
Drivers side swivel + seals
Drivers Wheel bearing
Drivers CV joint
Adjusted, inspected and greased passenger side.

This reduced 90% of my noise and terrifying feeling from the steering wheel, but a noise remains!

One thing I noticed when I reassembled the calipers and replaced the lines from the body down is that the brake pads can move a ton compared to any of the other 4 piston brakes I have done. There are also two different types of pins and springs. One side has the pin head shaped like a D with repeat use cotter pins while the other has a square pin head with single use cotter pins. Is there a proper sized pin or hardware kit that anyone would recommend? I read a few things about aftermarket pads being too small and causing noise, should I track down an OEM set?

As a side note the brakes also have different sized bleeds from the left to the right side of the truçk (including the rear) the left being 10mm and right being 11mm wrench size.

My thoughts are a hardware kit and if the noise remains possibly look at OEM pads or a reputable after market. Looking at the price of OEM pads I think I'd just jump right to new d110 calipers and rotors instead.

Any input is appreciated!
Thanks
Edit: no idea why it deleted all my spaces, fixed it.

Last edited by Slorg; 01-23-2023 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

The rear calipers can wear and the pads, can basically sit on the rotor and wear a grove into them. You can get the brake hardware from Rock Auto. If you have different size bleeders you probably have some refurb calipers or someone replaced some bleeders.