Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new EBC brake pads & slotted rotors lots of noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new EBC brake pads & slotted rotors lots of noise

I've never run slotted and dimpled rotors before, and after installing the $500 complete EBC kit from AB I can't get over the what seems to be a constant excessive rubbing noise. the instructions warned me that noise is unavoidable w/ slotted rotors but wow- I hear a kind of scratching/ rubbing noise constantly, especially when I get near other cars or walls where the noise can echo back. I also get a very loud creaking noise if I'm crawling along with brake pressure applied as I come to a complete stop, tho I chalked that up to the heavy weight of the vehicle stressing the pad/ rotor connection at low speed- I've heard the same noise in other cars before, but maybe the noise isn't ok- like it might be loose pads moving about or?

My mechanic, a great mechanic but not a LR expert installed the kit for me. he did not bleed the brakes, claiming the fluid was still good, nor did he use the dampening? spray or whatever has been recommended in other posts. I tried to break the pads in through the first 500 miles as instructed, but I may have not done a good enough job at that, thus creating glaze or? Now I also have a slight rear axle leak, and grease gunk had accumulated around the old pads, contaminating them over the years, so I'm now worried the same grease is getting on the new green stuff kevlar pads- but it dosent seem likley yet as the pads are still 2000 miles new and the axle leak is very slow, and a visual inspection looks good though I admit its hard to see properly without the wheel removed.

Brake performance overall seems pretty good, but I would like better. Is it possible he did not get the adjustments- or anything else quite right?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed OEM type brakes and they are dead quiet, no noise what so ever. I did put sound deadening goo on the back of the pads. I would buy some of the red stuff and smear it on the back of your pads and bleed your brakes. Mechanics are lazy much of the time. Unless you want to ruin a good set of pads replace your hub o'rings.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you check to make certain the "separator" springs are installed?

there will be some noise with any disc brakes, whether or not you can hear it, but, there may , i don't know having never had the wheels off of mine yet (i've only had it a day) be springs that keep the pads from rattling around while driving, those may be missing...there are on all motorcycles and most all import cars... check that.

if its a whirring noise while braking I would say its the air pockets created when the pads contact the rotors... most bikes and cars with cross drilled rotors make that noise...

Old 08-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I would call AB and let them know. This set up is supposed to be free of noise, let us know what you find out.
By the way, get your brakes bled, forget what the mechanic says and make sure to use a synthetic DOT 4 fluid, about 3 pints.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Winching

It probably was just a crappy install.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:39 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has the full EBC setup on his 04 disco and it makes zero noise. I have the EBC gs pads on DBA rotors and mine doesn't make any noise either. Your mechanic had to have screwed up the install if they make that much noise as there should be little to no noise especially with them being that new.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Drifting

I have the EBC pads and rotors that I just installed recently. They have a break in period where you will get some noise on the polishing surface. My still have a little squeak when i stop sometimes but the pads arent broken in yet so its expected