Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy brake lights

Hey, My brake lights work until I turn on the headlights. I replaced all the bulbs in the back and people kept saying I didn't have brake lights. I kept checking them like the next day and finally realized they didn't work when I turned on the headlights. DAH! Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you downloaded the RAVE workshop manual? It's large but all sort of troubleshooting for electrical, mech etc.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

One light working then not working when you turn on others can be the symptom of a bad ground for the malfunctioning light.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Three Wheeling

Morning, I was told I needed a pigtail for the bumper light. Went to three parts stores to no avail so I ordered it. I'm not convinced this is the problem with the brake lights but the bulb in the bumper actually had water inside it. lol I had ordered a RAVE manual from e-bay 5 years ago from England. Now I see it is available free. The owner of the shop that has been working on my car was so arrogant and said he didn't need it. I'm one who starts with the most obvious and cheapest fix and works my way up and I am glad to get input and help from whatever source, but I can do that as I'm not a mechanic. A mechanic shouldn't have to work by trial and error, they should know. I have always worked on my own vehicles as far as minor stuff and tune-ups.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It's an easy test to see if the pigtail is the issue. So assuming the mechanic did that, then problem solved. If the mechanic didn't, I'd find a new mechanic who actually does a bit of diagnostics before replacing parts.

A mechanic can't always know what the problem actually is, but something like that shouldn't be difficult to sort out.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just because a guy calls himself a mechanic does not mean he is a good one. Also you cannot expect a mechanic to be familar with every aspect of every car he may come into contact with.

Any mechanic that claims he does not need any documentation in today's more complex vehicles is a damn fool, anyone that goes back to him is in that same category.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Hey, I intend to find another shop but for some darn reason nobody wants to work on landrovers here in BFE. For one thing, this was a big steel town and they only like American made. Several shops I called even said buy an American car and they would work on it. Thanks

Old 11-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes. Buy American so that it will be ugly AND not reliable. At least with the Rover it's not ugly.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

For a while it was owned by Ford, that is sorta American, last time I looked. Usually the only thing that indy shops demand be American made is paper money.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Three Wheeling

You got that right!

Quick Reply: brake lights