Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

broken aftermarket sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 05:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default broken aftermarket sunroof

Hi, today I tried to open my sunroof and one side was stuck and it kept popping like something in the mechanism and/or the hinge was slipping or binding. I tried to investigate and I couldn't figure out how to dismantle it, oather thatn I could pull the moor off and it had a broken casting on the transmission and worn cogs. I think the casting broke because something else wasn't working right. now Im regretting messing with it Especially since I seems like an aftermarket item so I cant easily find parts and information. It has the two shade screens but no drains and I don't recall seeing a metal bolt on the surface to hold the glass to the hardware, but I could be remembering that wrong. Also there doesn't appear to be a control module that runs it. Anybody have any ideas what kind of sunroof I might have so I can learn how to maintain it?

Old 03-03-2024, 08:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Upload some photos so we can see what it looks like. Also, I have an extra sunroof laying around from a Land Rover if you want to go back to OEM - I sell Land Rover parts on eBay.

Old 03-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Overlanding
Default Sunroof

I took a couple for reference yesterday so here they are, hopefully they reveal something. I epoxy welded the broken part of the casting that holds the gears in place, I’ll let it cure but seems like a weak point to begin with. I’ve never looked at a sunroof mechanism and I kinda regret doing it now since it’s worse than before! And i still don’t understand how it works, or how to take it apart to see if i can service it! Right now the driver side stops part way opening and I think the stress broke the transmission. But it also seems like it’s engineered to have the gears skip, and strum the drive spring rather than stress to the point of breaking anything. At least, thats how it looked, maybe the transmission was already worn, or broken. Is it driven by a continuous belt consisting of a spring coil and an inner fabric that maintains tension? Are any of these parts serviceable and how do I proceed with dismantling the lift mechanism to look at what’s making it jamb on one side. Short of fixing it, at a minimum, I need to get it closed, latched and taped to keep the weather out. My initial efforts to drive the spring with my fingers did nothing. I wondered if I might have to buy a replacement so DMs for replacements are accepted, and I’m eager to make relationships with people who have parts readily available! It dripped a little I think at the rubber gasket since I now see there’s no drains. So, figured a new gasket but now it’s fix plus new gasket, or replace. I need to learn more

Transmission

Motor wires were spliced indicating it might not be original to sunroof

**as a side note: I went to the forum on my iPhone since it’s simple to add a picture once I’m logged an. Funny thing was I had the forum page up on my phone already but I didn’t recognize it at all. It looks completely different on my phone than from my computer and I’m eager to see which format I prefer. Right now the computer always leaves me going in circles trying to navigate and learn how to use the forum website, using my phone just now seems better for uploading pictures but is more of a Pita to type and edit! Either way, I’m grateful!

Old 03-06-2024, 08:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not certain you have an aftermarket sunroof. I have some motors laying around and they are all the same as what you are showing - Made in France.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:03 PM
Overlanding

I thought I posted these additional photos of my sunroof already, I guess not. In my searches, it seemed like the mounting of the motor was different than mine and I don’t think I have any drains and my glass is held down magically with no bolts through.

No visible fasteners

Interior retainer piece removed easily but didnt provide access to mechanics.

Inside, wish I could fix it and get it out of my shop!

Other side of motor. Motor

The drive belt and gear. Another piece (no pic) that broke, mounts with a drive cog and and aluminum plate that accommodates mounting the motor. I could not manually push the drive mechanism to close the roof.

These are the shade that look like what came with sunroof models and the hinge mechanism that’s stuck next to it, I couldn’t seem to get access pulling all screws and drilling 1 rivet.