Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Brought the 95 home

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brought the 95 home

Got her home to a warm garage...picking away at the 60mile full service. The forum has been excellent with step by step instructions and advise. Had a heck of a time with changing the fuel filter which was full of black crud. Being above the rear wheel, fittings were seized. Ran the pump with the hose disconnected (into a container) to see what condition the fuel from tank was like...clean, so connected the fuel filter.

My question: The P/O has been using regular power steering fluid and not Dextron. What is the best way to flush and add the new. I read to put a hose on the bleed nut at box, the other end to a container, run engine, and continuously add new fluid to resevoir until new fluid coming out of end of hose. Do not turn steering wheel. Where is the bleed nut and what size hose? Will takle this tomorrow am.

Cheers

Old 12-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the 95.

You are doing the right thing. Ask before doing anything.

never had to flush my P/S fluid, so I don't know.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

From eHOW:

Put your car in park and turn off the engine.
Open your car's hood. Secure it in place so you can work beneath it.
Remove the filter from the top of your power steering system. For the exact location of your car's power steering filter, you'll need to consult your owner's manual.
Detach the overflow tank from the radiator. This will make it easier for you to reach the power steering reservoir. Keep the tank handy, as you'll be replacing it soon.
Disconnect the reservoir's hose. It should be located on the bottom of the reservoir. The hose can be tough to remove, so make sure you have plenty of patience.
Replace the reservoir's hose with another hose. It should lead to an empty container. You'll use this container to store the old power steering fluid as it leaves the reservoir
Lift the front end of your car off the ground by using a car jack.
Add new power steering fluid to the reservoir. As you add the new lubricant, it will force the old lubricant into the tube you've connected to the bottom of the reservoir.
Climb into the drivers seat and rack your steering wheel back and forth. The wheel should be locked in place, allowing only a slight range of mobility. This will help the extra lubricant within the power steering system to drain.
Watch the empty container. It should fill with old lubricant. Once the old lubricant has been flushed and you see clean fluid replacing it, you've finished the hard part.
Disconnect your hose and move the container.
Replace the original reservoir hose.
Pour new, clean power steering fluid into the reservoir.
Rack your steering wheel a few more times to squeeze out air that might be trapped in the lines.
Replace the filter and overflow tank and close your hood.

Good Luck!

Old 12-07-2010, 02:02 AM
Drifting

Thanks calebbo.....first thing tomorrow. Hope there isn't damage to pump, some leaks I will have to attend to though.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disco's do not have a filter in the PS system. The radiator overflow is on the opposite side than the PS system, so that will not need disconected.

I have found the easiest(and cleanest) method is to suck all the fluid out of the tank(turkey baster),fill with fresh, start engine, turn the steering wheel off-center in both directions a few times(does not have to go to full lock) to circulate fluid. Repeat as desired, 2qts is usually enough.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What the?

You will find it is best to follow the proceedures laid out in the Land Rover Workshop Manual.

eHOW (c.bo.) is generally not a good resource for repairing Rovers.

Land Rover spent a bit of time and money designing these vehicles and I'd place more faith in their suggestions than some generalized methods outlined by a one-size-fits-all advice site like ehow.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

im with kenk. turkey baster that crap out. it wont get all of it but will get everything in the tank. then you can refill run the truck and do it again in a few hundred miles.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kevlor80
I read to put a hose on the bleed nut at box, the other end to a container, run engine, and continuously add new fluid to resevoir until new fluid coming out of end of hose. Do not turn steering wheel. Where is the bleed nut and what size hose? Will takle this tomorrow am.

Cheers
The bleed screw is located on the top of the steering box. it is a 7/16" fitting and is usually obscured from view by the supply and return hoses for the resevoir. Just move them slightly to the side and you will see it. the tubing can be vacuum line tubing if it is a good fit... hell, you could even use air line tubing for a fish tank... nothing special. it is just a method of keeping spillage to a minimum.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the input as usual...I have read the rave ...got lazy and just asked.

Cheers

Old 12-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First off, ignore everything that the young MR. CALEBBO stated. It is apparent he knoweth not what he sayeth. He is only 16 years of age, has had his Discovery a very short time frame and already he has become an overnight expert (typical of today's 16 year old kids). He has given totally worthless advice in this case.

Definitely observe the information provided in the RAVE. Use ATF instead of power steering fluid.

Always take any advice with a grain of salt, as there is a lot of misinformation found on the WEB.

You may indeed need to replace the hose at the power steering reservoir due to it's age and put a good quality hose clamp on it as well. LR's clamps leave a little to be desired.

Also add your location to your profile so people nearby can get involved with you. You never know who is nearby if they don't know where you are. Also, you should add basic info to your signature such as model year and miles on the vehicle to help everyone out.

The 95 is a pretty good model year as it does not have the more involved sensors and ECU related issues that the later model years have.

Do a good detailed inspection of the vehicle front to back, top to bottom. inside and out so you are aware of anything that may be on the verge of disaster. Lot better to take care of it in advance in a heated garage than whereever it may decide to go out on you.

Pay particular attention to the degree of corrosion present. My 97 had significant corrosion on things likje the fuel lines (hsd to replace entire fuel lines from tank to filter to engine bay and back to the tank. If yours looks suspect, a 25 foot coil of 5/16 steel fuel tubing can be purchased at Advanced Auto for about 25 bucks. I also relocated my fuel filter from the location in the rear wheel well to a place further up along the side of the main frame rail for easier access.

Check out the shift linkages and see if the CDL engages or if it is corroded in place.

Read all about your vehicle BEFORE you jump into anything on it. Most of the systems on these are unlike most other vehicles you may be familar with.

Always run PREMIUM fuel. I use 93 octane exclusively in mine now.

With the proper attention, you should enjoy your Discovery.

Is it going to be your Daily Driver or just a fun vehicle?

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Discovery. Learn to handle it safely and reasonably and it can be awesome.

Quick Reply: Brought the 95 home