Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bucking and stalling under low/moderate throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 05:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Send a shout out to Paul Grant, in my signature....... If he doesn't have one (rare) then give Will the football.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Send a shout out to Paul Grant, in my signature....... If he doesn't have one (rare) then give Will the football.
Thank you so much for the reply. Right before I saw it I pulled the trigger on a SAGEM used unit on ebay that looked clean. I'll keep them in my back pocket for future parts though. It looks like they are both highly regarded in the community so I'm glad to know I have someone I can reach out to if I'm at the end of my rope.

I've got two related questions that popped into my head though:

1. What are some of the other hard to find parts that fail on D1's and RRC? I would love to know so that if I see one that is being picked apart I can take a look and see if any parts are left for my bin of replacements.
2. With the recent resurgence of interest in the RRC I would think that someone would make a half decent repop of these parts since (from what I understand) they where used on all of the trucks from this era.

I guess that second one isn't a question so much as a musing, But you get my point.

Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2020, 08:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Your welcome, keep those two guys contact info handy. I bought allot of parts from both and when the parts arrived I was always blown away by the condition, they exceeded my expectations every time. Great value! What your looking for currently is one of the harder to find that has a reasonable cost, both Paul and Will keep the price real. You might be buying from Paul on Fleabay right now. As far as hard to find parts there aren’t many you can’t source somewhere for decent. Use my sig contacts as your first choices if your having a difficult time with costs or OE quality and always see if Trevor has what’s needed. I was able to maintain my Rover as a daily for 8 years using those three contacts, a great local machine shop and my ambition to keep her on the road. The Rangies are scarce in good fit, prices going up. If you find a Hunter buy it.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update for anyone who has a similar issue and because I hate when a thread doesn't end with something being fixed.

The repair shop started with the MAS which was reading very low so I brought them a used one from eBay. This helped alleviate most of the problem, but not all of it. They did some pressure testing and found that it was loosing pressure at higher speed. Once they pulled out the Fuel pump they replaced it as well as the unit, which was bent sideways. I don't know how else to describe it, but one of the two rods that hold the plastic cylinder together looked like it had been bent sideways. This likely was throwing off both the pressure and the fuel gauge reading. I doubt anyone will have the exact same issue as I did, but for anyone who has stalling it is worth checking the VCC and the MAS before going straight to replacing the fuel pump. That said there is a simple walk through on how to replace the pump on YouTube that I linked below.

List of things I need to do now:
Change bulbs till I find out which one is causing my fast blinker
Figure out why my sunroofs won't open all the way
Change grease in both diffs and the transfer case
Try and unfreeze my CDL which will go into high and low, but not lock the diffs
Figure out why my new radio has feedback
02 sensor change at some point
Transmission filter/fluid change (dreading this one)
Change hose to fuel tank and overflow hose because they both look like they are cracking
New tires
Break bleed
Possibly new pads/rotors
Steering seems somewhat vague, maybe I'll go through death wobble checklist preemptively

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions! Every car community is different. I'm glad this one seems so helpful and active compared to others.

The following users liked this post:
Toran (08-11-2020)