Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bushings and Body Roll

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 06:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bushings and Body Roll

I have read about the Death Wobble and I don’t think I’m to that point. 98 D1 80k. Every single runner bushing is rotten and all components need replaced. I have replaced all 4 shocks with KYB the front tie rod ends and it looks like a newer steering stabilizer ( white with no name on it). I have had the vehicle 3 months, before me original owner didn’t put 1k a year for the last 10 on it. Of course I need to replace it all but where would y’all suggest I start? I heard there are bushing kits for sale but I prefer buying all my parts from Trevor and he doesn’t have those. I have another thread going about my driver side blinkers not working, when I push hazard button the light up. I took the indicator stalk off and went through it cleaning, also I replaced the indicator relay maybe that’s it name black relay looking. Bad steering and no blinker makes my long interstate drive to work and home less that fun and safe. Of course thank you all for being here for us that really do need your assistance

Old 01-17-2019, 08:22 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Stalk - can still Be bad even with a cleaning. Try a replacement from a wrecker.

Bushings and body roll - once i replaced all of mine, all that went away. I forgot to replace bushings after an OME suspension upgrade (shocks and springs), and didn't notice at first, but after a year it was apparenthe. Also, replace your U-Joints at the same time

Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Since posting that I went to my parts truck and grabbed it off quick and cleaned it and popped it in all good now, thank you for the response. I will still take aler the other and see what is wrong. I didn’t do springs when I did the shocks there were a lot of issues getting it back on the road. I think mine is lower on the left side and I would imagine springs would help that also. I will start with bushing and keep ordering and replacing til I’m broke or it’s all done.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:35 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RBSDISCO
Since posting that I went to my parts truck and grabbed it off quick and cleaned it and popped it in all good now, thank you for the response. I will still take aler the other and see what is wrong. I didn’t do springs when I did the shocks there were a lot of issues getting it back on the road. I think mine is lower on the left side and I would imagine springs would help that also. I will start with bushing and keep ordering and replacing til I’m broke or it’s all done.
Awesome on the stalk!

For springs, I did mine to get a 2" lift, hence springs and shocks.

Bushings made a huge difference as well as the U-Joints.

Best of luck and keep us posted

Old 02-06-2019, 02:07 PM
Three Wheeling

I got all the tie rod ends and bushings done which helped a lot. I do still have too much of body roll and I lean to the passenger side over an inch, as well as substantial vibration at 70 mph. I have springs ordered and material for spacers, how many u joints should I order? And do you think the shocks are ruined after 6 months if the springs are old and compressed?

Old 02-07-2019, 07:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Trvor from RovahFarm called about the order and talk about the u joints, he is pretty sure it’s rhe swivel ***** causing the wobble-vibration. So after I replace the springs and repair the swivel ***** I will have the tires balances rotated and aligned and if that doesn’t help I’m increasing the insurance and running this SOB off a cliff. Or into a tree whichever I come across first.