Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 07:10 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Problems

So I have a bit of a quandary on my hands. A/C wasn't even trying to blow cold. I check my pressures and it was a little low (180psi high side, 30 psi low side). Ok, so sometimes, not often though, you can get away recharging. So I gave it a shot and the pressures weren't jiving (60 low side, 210 high side) and the air comin' out of the vents went from 95 degrees to 80 degrees. Woo-hoo. No dice.

So I pumped the system down, evacuated, and charged with 2.5 lbs according to the sticker (1150 grams). Wow did that p!$$ it off. High side shot to over 400, low side at 80. So now I'm boned. Aside from the fact that I ate the compressor, WFT? I've never had that happen with a flush and factory charge. Why the hell would the pressures be running that high? There is something seriously wrong here.

Does anyone know if this truck uses a TXV or orifice? If it's an orifice, where would I find it? If it's a TXV, someone give me a sword to fall on, but tell me anyway.

This is Arizona, gotta have air. It's a '98 Disco with rear air.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

An orifice will usually have a dent on the tube it's in. Unless its a Ford style liquid line with it built in. I thought these trucks used an expansion block or valve on the evaporator. I could be wrong. It's probably in the RAVE.

The metering device , what ever form it is, would be my guess. Unless your compressor is shot.