Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Can anyone identify these plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Can anyone identify these plugs?

1996 Discovery SE

I'm guessing these have something to do with the brakes. Ever since I have owned the car, these have been without their counterparts. One branch off this wiring harness looks like it might go down to the front brake. A similar one on the other side also looks to maybe go down to the other side brake.

I do know this - my disco does not have functional anti-lock brakes in the winter. I just about slid into a roundabout a couple times. Pumped the brakes like crazy and was able to avoid it.

I don't have any lights lit up on the dash.

Please, no comments about the expanding foam used to fill in the huge rust holes. LOL

Last edited by notny41; 08-09-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, those would go to the ABS unit that you do not have. Get one from a jy or elsewhere, install it, then you'll have ABS

The following users liked this post:
notny41 (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 11:45 AM
Mudding

so a quick search on ebay turned this up. It looks like the plugs would mate up to the connectors on this thing. Not sure I want ABS that bad though. Especially not knowing if there are other problems with the system...

1996 1997 1998 98 1999 99 Land Rover Discovery ABS Bump Assembly Unit | eBay

Old 08-09-2016, 11:52 AM
Mudding

looking at it a little more closely, it looks as if there are brake lines that would attach to that ebay unit as well. I'm guessing someone bypassed it and I would need to do a bit of work to get it operational again - like adding some brake lines somewhere... Anyone have a picture of their brake system, that I could get an idea of what would all be involved? Thanks!

Old 08-09-2016, 01:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

this is not an endorsement of disabled ABS. however, the Discovery 1 ABS system leaves a lot to be desired and can in fact be dangerous. on my '96 they are disabled and the bulb in the dash display has been pulled. sounds like you are in a similar situation. i would never recommend disabling a factory ABS system. conversely, i would never recommend enabling the Discovery 1's system.

The following 2 users liked this post by jastutte:
notny41 (08-09-2016), Toran (08-10-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRovin'
Yes, those would go to the ABS unit that you do not have. Get one from a jy or elsewhere, install it, then you'll have ABS
BWAHAHAHA!!!
If only it were that simple. You can bet the previous owner didn't go through the trouble of removing the ABS modulator for no reason. In other words, the ABS wasn't working so he disabled it and yanked the modulator. Its a safe bet your ABS sensors are crapped out at the very least.
If it were me I'd leave it. I'd rather have predictable braking without ABS than unreliable and downright dangerous braking with the ABS. When the ABS fails in these trucks the brake pedal goes to the floor and vibrates and you have almost no stopping power. And of course you don't know there's a problem till you try to brake hard, that's when it will fail and leave you in a bad spot.

The following 2 users liked this post by fishEH:
notny41 (08-09-2016), Toran (08-10-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 02:52 PM
Mudding

Yikes - you all have me convinced to hide those plugs and never think to use them again!!! Thanks all!

I love this quote:

Originally Posted by jastutte
i would never recommend disabling a factory ABS system. conversely, i would never recommend enabling the Discovery 1's system.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

Twice now my brake pedal went down and started vibrating- what a god awful feeling when your brakes dont do what your foot tells them to do! I made sure the wheel sensors are seated properly but it still happened.

For now I will disconnect mine and go from there.

Is there a fuse that can be removed to turn the light off other than taking the dash apart to remove the bulb?

Thanks

Old 08-10-2016, 11:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Toran
Twice now my brake pedal went down and started vibrating- what a god awful feeling when your brakes dont do what your foot tells them to do! I made sure the wheel sensors are seated properly but it still happened.

For now I will disconnect mine and go from there.

Is there a fuse that can be removed to turn the light off other than taking the dash apart to remove the bulb?

Thanks

you don't really need to take the dash apart. if i recall, you just remove the two screws holding the bindle (shroud) in place. then easy access to the bulb.

The following users liked this post:
Toran (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 02:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks jastutte!
Got the fuse and bulb removed. Hopefully no more of that nonsense as mentioned before.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Can anyone identify these plugs?