Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

cant engage diff lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant engage diff lock

so I recently had the transfer case cover plate resealed and and a rear seal as well.

I can shift from 4hi to 4lo no problem, but i have never been able to shift to the left to engage the diff lock.

we sprayed the linkage as best as we coulf with penatrating oil...but still cant budge it to the left.....

what do you guys recommend to get to the bottom of this?

thanks

Old 03-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do a search and read what is already there. Learn about the design, construction and functionality of the diff lock as well as the transfer case high/low because even though it is one lever it is two independent functions that are not really inter-related like some people assume.

You basically need to pull the center console to allow you full access to the linkages. Note: LINKAGES- plural - two totally seperate sets of linkages for two totally separate fucnctions.

If you want to see all the details to the nth degree of disassembly just click on the link in my signature and peruse my photo albums.

Note: After you remove the center console, drill out the factory installed rivets to remove the runner boot and save it to reinstall after completion. You need a pop rivet set.

Have fun.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-29-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 AM

Why screw with headers and supercharging when you ain't even fixed the Diff Lock?

Maybe you'd do better with a Chevy my friend....

Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Mudding

easy there buck....you dont know me or my vehicle....so keep your snotty remarks to your self.

while I appreciate to info on your first post there is no need to bash or look your nose down at me for not have a operating diff lock.

alittle info to put you in your place.....

I bought the vechicle with future plans of it being MY daily/recreation vehicle. But its imediate task was a family hauler. So I did less important things like tires, rotors, calipers, pads, engine oil cooler lines, autotranny lines and filter replacment, alternator, serp belt, engine tune up, diff fluids, resealing the transfer box, worn out rear springs and shocks , and replacing a completely rotted out exhuast. So why the headers you ask and not the diff lock....well seeing as how Im very busy with providing for my family...I work...alot 6 1/2 days a week....12 hours plus a day. I desperatly needed to get a new exhaust...with my future plans in mind I saw the opertunity to install the toddco headers and make a nice brand new custom exhuast from there...2 birds one stone. Now..since the imediate task is on road duty the diff lock was less of a concern seeing as how time is precious i needed to prioritize....

the supercharger I came across by chance a jumped on it for the future...

Does that satisfy you or do I not deserve to own a landrover....

Last edited by instg8r; 03-29-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Default Whoa Bucko

OK Bucko,

Talk about an attitude.

easy there buck....you dont know me or my vehicle....so keep your snotty remarks to your self.

while I appreciate to info on your first post there is no need to bash or look your nose down at me for not have a operating diff lock.

alittle info to put you in your place.....

OK you had your response, heres mine. Did you even bother to do a search on the diff lock? or is your time more valuable than ours?, it's all thoroughly documented both on here and lots of other places. So I won't waste my time going into any great details for you again here.

I am glad you took care of all that other stuff, too bad you didn't take the time to learn much about the Discovery CDL while you were doing it.

But really, a supercharger and headers are about the last thing I would worry about on a Discovery. Have fun trying to keep it going as a Daily Driver.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-30-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Mudding

Whats funny is I never asked you to post...I put out a question....if you dont want to answer then dont.

If you want me to search, then suggest the search....

The comment about not tackling the cdl when it wasnt absolutly nessessary to have operational...in a way to put me down or to make yourself look like the man.....was your doing...excuse me if Im not going to sit here let you insult me by saying I shouldnt own a land rover and to move on to chevys....

How does postponing getting the cdl operational on a daily road going vehicle make me such a bad owner.....I guess I dont measure up to high class land rover owners such as yourself

Im glad that you dont see the need for superchargers and headers....but Im not you...which is the piont of a forum...different owners with different trucks and there experiences...I didnt see in the rules that i needed to follow danny lee disco's rule of thought....I post one question about my disco and you jumped all over puting me down without knowing anything about me or my vehicle.....some member of the community your are..

if you dont want a snappy response dont be a stuck up dick....

please never post in my threads again

Last edited by instg8r; 03-29-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Mudding

Moving on.....

After some reading, it seems like the common problem is that they cease up from lack of use....which I can pretty much gaurentee that previous owner never used the cdl.

The other issue that I read is about the cdl solinoid not working...

how do you know if the solinoid is not working?

as I said it does shift from 4hi to 4lo so there is some movement....could it really be that ceased that it moves one way but not the other?

Old 03-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is that it could be related to the "lockout" solenoid, and some/most experiencing issues have simply removed that solenoid.
It is intended to keep the inexperienced off roader from affecting changes to the transfer case over 5MPH.

I do not believe there are any negative affects from removing this that would keep ME from doing this as a first step in troubleshooting...

Old 03-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Mudding

Thanks for your reply, I was just on the AB website and seen the diff lock out switch for $20 in place of the regular solinoid.

Im going to have to remove the center console see whats happening...I have seen from searching on here and other sites that people have cut holes into the tunnel to reach the cdl ...I really hope it doesnt resort to that......I fear that the cdl probably hasnt been engaged in 10 plus years....I hope that once i get the shifter moving that the cdl will actually work...

Old 03-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Default Dude...........

Dude,

What is up with you, you read way too much into my response.

First I did recommend a search, which if you had bothered to do, you would have found all the details have already been explained repeatedly.

So I still stand by my response. Here in the United States, we enjoy freedom of speech, freedom of expression, and a whole lot of rights that you cannot take away from me.

I must correct you in that I see absolutely no need to supercharge a Discovery or install headers, especially if money and time are on short supply.

Good for you that you do all that you do,whoppee.

Did you do that search yet? When you do you will see all the marvelous details that have already been documented on the awesome CDL. A Discovery I without a working CDL is nothing compared to a Dsicovery with a CDL, even if you don't go off-road. Don't they get snow and ice anymore or are you in the tropical part of Canada?

You are the one who said you don't measure up, I never said or implied any such thing, so if there were any insults to your intelligence or anything else, it was all in your intrepretation.

The solenoid only afffects HI/LOW shifting and is there to prevent unintended shifts. You must have the tranny in N to shift the HI/LOW function.

There is a little triangular piece at the bottom of the CDL linkage that MUST rotate to physically shift the Center Diff from unlock to lock and back.

Do the search, all the details are there in great detail. This question comes up almost every week or two as it is one of the most common problems In the Discovery I.

Remove Center Console. Drill out factory rivets and set runbber boot aside. Spray all areas of linkage and allow the PB Blaster to work. Repeat spray.

If linkage is severely corroded, replace all the little clips and pins, and lubricate. The triangular looking selector piece may have to be moved forcefully. This can be accomplished by placing a socket over the center nut and rotating it CCW.

Quit acting like a ********. Nobody died and put you in charge. Also nobody but you said you were undeserving of a LR or anything of that nature.

I merely suggested a Chevy since you apparently seemed to be more of that type with the need for headers and a supercharger. If you got a need for speed and lots of horsepower, that does not equate to a Discovery I.

The LR motto of "As fast as necessary, as slow as possible" just does not lend itself to the necessity of headers and superchargers.

So go do the search and have fun with your Discovery, unless you rather rant and carry on like a ********.

Quick Reply: cant engage diff lock