Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Can't Figure out why she leans

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Can't Figure out why she leans

Hey everyone, so my disco leans badly to the driver side and I cannot figure out why. From the ground, the passenger side measures 29.5" to the top of the bumper and the driver side measures 27.5". It has a 2" lift, so I assumed one of the springs must have sagged, but I measured them and they were 31cm passenger and 30cm driver, that 1cm I dont think is making that huge sag. When measuring from the bottom of the shock tower to the bottom of the axle I see a huge difference, but nothing looks bent? Anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-11-2019, 07:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Do a search on "Britpart springs".

Old 07-12-2019, 12:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts

measure to the frame underneath. find out if it is the body or the suspension, or just change the truck's name to Irene...

Old 07-12-2019, 03:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Over time, the driver's side springs tend to sag more than the other side due to... you guessed it... the driver sitting on that side.
New springs tend to have the drivers side springs higher than the passenger side springs.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:33 AM
TReK
Received 420 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
Over time, the driver's side springs tend to sag more than the other side due to... you guessed it... the driver sitting on that side.....New springs tend to have the drivers side springs higher than the passenger side springs.
I've read this many times on many LR message boards and I just don't believe it can really be the case. We are talking about a 4,500 lb truck with a suspension designed for off road use. I just can't believe ~200-250 lbs is going to make a difference even over a long period of time.

If we extend the logic, every Toyota, Honda, Chevy, etc sedan should be leaning to the driver's side as well. I doubt those suspensions are more robust than that to be found on our trucks.

The explanation (and again, it is not just JUKE, I'm guessing he read it on a board as well) just doesn't pass the "smell" test.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:10 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jimvw57
measure to the frame underneath. find out if it is the body or the suspension, or just change the truck's name to Irene...
Thanks I did that last night after posting this, the frame is off by the same 1cm as the springs, so some of the sag might be from the springs, but most of it seems to be the body. however, the body mounts look about the same amount of worn on both sides, could it be the shock tower?

Old 07-13-2019, 09:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

You may want to explore the fine British quality control more. Meaning.... check the axle and frame spring perches for inconsistencies.
You may just end up having to compensate with a spacer on o e side or D2 spring seat on the other.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:24 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by fishEH
You may want to explore the fine British quality control more. Meaning.... check the axle and frame spring perches for inconsistencies.
You may just end up having to compensate with a spacer on o e side or D2 spring seat on the other.
Thanks, I ended up tearing everything apart and decided to switch springs and spring perches. That immediately fixed 1" of the difference, which made sense because the perch on the low side was bent a little. I ordered brand new perches and shock towers to replace them and will keep the springs reversed. I think I am going to add a small spacer under the spring perch on the bottom to level it out. Does anyone happen to know how tall a suspension spacer for these trucks is that nets 2" of lift? that would give me a good calculation on how much to add. Worst case I will add a 1/4" and call it a day because that should be enough to level it by 1" I hope.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

This is confusing. A 1" spacer should net.....1" of lift.

Originally Posted by WeekendWarriors87
Thanks, I ended up tearing everything apart and decided to switch springs and spring perches. That immediately fixed 1" of the difference, which made sense because the perch on the low side was bent a little. I ordered brand new perches and shock towers to replace them and will keep the springs reversed. I think I am going to add a small spacer under the spring perch on the bottom to level it out. Does anyone happen to know how tall a suspension spacer for these trucks is that nets 2" of lift? that would give me a good calculation on how much to add. Worst case I will add a 1/4" and call it a day because that should be enough to level it by 1" I hope.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by fishEH
This is confusing. A 1" spacer should net.....1" of lift.
Really? I figured since the edge of the body is quite a distance out from the spring itself that it would require less than a true 1" to get 1" at the fender, but maybe thats a minor change. (I know in IFS trucks like my f150 as well, a spacer lift puck isnt actually the same height as the lift it produces, thats why I asked just to make sure)

Quick Reply: Can't Figure out why she leans