Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Can't press my accelerator down all the way!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't press my accelerator down all the way!

Hey guys,

Long time no post. I have another issue with my 95 Disco 1 - imagine that

I can not press my accelerator down all the way. Well, I can, but if I do - it sputters like it's not getting enough fuel. It drives perfect if I barely press on the gas pedal, which is kind of a pain when trying to accelerate up a hill, or on to a freeway.

All suggestions on where to start are appreciated.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Throttle position sensor possibly?

Old 11-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Not sure where a TPS will not allow the throttle to open all the way.
What have you checked so far and be specific?
Bent cable, dirty t/body???

Old 11-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO Muskrat37 may want to follow his nose - and do a test of fuel pressure. Doesn't the 95 have a schrader test valve (32 -34 PSI) on the fuel rail? Could be fuel filter is way past replacement, fuel pressure regulator, or weak fuel pump. Of course there are other possibilities as well, any codes? Might keep us from chasing our tail...

Old 11-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey it was just a guess. Would a bad vss do this possibly?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Three Wheeling

@ Mike - haven't checked anything yet - was hoping for direction - starting with easiest, cheapest, most likely culprit. I live in an apartment, so don't have all the tools necessary for more advanced fixes - and figured I could check / change easy things first. It act's like it's not getting enough fuel, and I bought it used (it has good maintenance records, but I don't believe the fuel filter / pump have ever been changed)

@ Savannah - Thank you for the suggestions.

@ adigerol - the vss crossed my mind - only because this problem has presented itself before - kind of. I have another post (check my post, it's my most recent one) where I get a similar sputtering - but now looking back, wondering if these 2 issues could be related.

If I am not mistaking - can't I "unplug" the vss to test if that is the cause of my issue(s).

All - When this problem starts happening, the Check engine light comes on. I have tried to check codes - but have been told at local auto parts store they can't check them on this rig (OBD 1?) Something like that. Any suggestions on where to get the codes check for the check engine light?

Thank you all for your help.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Lucky for you the autoparts store cannot check the trouble codes for you, but you can.
Under the passenger seat is a little black box, about the size of a box of kitchen matches.
It comes out from under the seat, it is on a slide lock kinda thingy, turn the ignition switch to the "II" or "RUN" position but do not start the engine.
Pull out the box and write down the 2 digit numbers on the box.
The Google OBDI trouble codes, let us know what you find.

It is probably a fuel issue or a bad vacuum advance on the distributor or if you are lucky a bad/missing vacuum advance vacuum line.
But we really need to know what the trouble codes mean.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Same, under the passenger seat, red LED, numbers. I'd have gone with the TPS as a first guess too. Can be tested with a multi-meter. Segments usually fail around idle though.

Last edited by ihscouts; 11-01-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

attached for VSS, can't really just pop a fuse, because that one runs a lot of other things - but fuel pressure you can check with rented/borrowed tester, and two fingers.

VSS drives speedometer, is it acting up at the same time??

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 vss 1.PDF (743.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: pdf
d1 vss 2.PDF (383.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Three Wheeling

@ Spike - Thanks - I had no idea it displayed the digits.. I also love your description: "about the size of a box of matches....on a slide lock kind of thingy". You are speaking a language I can understand! LMAO.

drum roll please.............. The code is............. 44

Google Says:

Code 44 - Lambda sensor A - left bank
Code 45 - Lambda sensor B - right bank
If one of these fault codes (#44 or #45) is displayed check the wiring to that particular lambda sensor. In addition this fault will be displayed if the vehicle has a condition which causes it to run very lean or very rich on one side (example - a vacuum leak or a bad injector). This code often appears in conjunction with the misfire codes in cases of bad ignition misfire (cross-firing plug wires)
If both codes are displayed, the voltage supply to the heater coils of the sensors must be checked. Check for 12V appearing on the O2 signal lead, and check the heater circuit for shorts.

Now What? When typing your reply - keep in mind that I respond well to descriptive terms like thingy, box, and drivers side.

Last edited by Muskrat37; 11-01-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Can't press my accelerator down all the way!