Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

CDL shifter problem that I haven't seen any mention of, and a quick fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 12:14 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CDL shifter problem that I haven't seen any mention of, and a quick fix

So I just bought a 98 LSE a few days ago and after playing with the CDL shifter, the light wouldn't go out. Cool. So looked up what might be causing it and wasn't able to find anything definitive. Just that it was probably stuck, or something about the switch. TONS of threads across several forums all saying the same things. So I finally got around to popping off the center console and this is what I found, The "shifter bearing" or whatever the ball is that the shifter pivots on, had popped out of the top and apparently has a a constant up push on it from a spring. After watching a few videos, I was able to see what it was supposed to look like. There is supposed to be a collar that holds it in place. Well I didn't feel like waiting for the piece (they have it on Rovahfarm is case anyone is looking for one), so I made a stack of zipties that will prevent it from going up and out. Yes, it is kind of ghetto. And yes, I will eventually fix it correctly. But so far it works great.