Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Chevy Power Steering Pump Works Great

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 01:16 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by robertf
Good info above, but using that s10 pump (tc pump, saginaw type 2, or whatever you want to call it) doesn't make much sense these days. I ran one a looong time ago, but that was before the bearmachs, britpart, and prolines of the world showed up along with a plethora of parted out discos when the correct replacement was around the $400 mark. They aren't really any more common or durable than the ZF and pumping volume seems to be the same. The original saginaw pump is a different story, but that requires custom brackets.
I'd respectfully disagree (and not just because I already have everything I need to install this pump!). It seems to me that the cheapest new replacement is still the S10 one, as you can pick it up for around $50. If you're going to replace your lines anyway, the little added complication of re-routing the low-pressure line doesn't add anything to the cost.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

So I tried to do this today on my Disco 2 but the Disco hub and shaft are significantly smaller than the Chevy shaft. Disco shaft measures .590, disco hub .588, chevy shaft is .664. That is way too much difference to make up. What am I doing wrong?

Old 02-01-2019, 10:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Extinct
So I tried to do this today on my Disco 2 but the Disco hub and shaft are significantly smaller than the Chevy shaft. Disco shaft measures .590, disco hub .588, chevy shaft is .664. That is way too much difference to make up. What am I doing wrong?
I’m not sure why you would have attempted this on a D2 when this is in the D1 tech section... I’ve never had a D2 but I imagine the PS pump is totally different from the D1. Your best bet is to try and find a D1 stock PS pump out of a junkyard and pull the flange off of it, that will fit on the Chevy spindle no problem. Make sure to grab the pulley wheel as well, as the D2’s may have a different mounting pattern. That being said, if the D2’s pulley is a significantly different diameter than the D1’s (or even worse, doesn’t run the same belt) you may be SOL. Good luck mate, you’re in it now :/

Old 02-02-2019, 10:06 PM
Camel Trophy

I posted on the post I saw indicating it would work on D2, did not realize no one had ever done it. I will likely just bore out my D2 hub, or see if can buy a D1 hub off ebay.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I posted on the post I saw indicating it would work on D2, did not realize no one had ever done it. I will likely just bore out my D2 hub, or see if can buy a D1 hub off ebay.
Try the guys in my signature for a D1 or D2 pulley you can modify. I rebuilt a D2 power steering pump, what a pain and it only worked for a year or so before it started whining again.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Camel Trophy

Just to confirm, this definitely WILL NOT work on a D2. The Chevy pump is too deep to fit in the D2 mounting bracket. It might work with a different mounting bracket, but that was far more work than I was interested in.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Just to confirm, this definitely WILL NOT work on a D2. The Chevy pump is too deep to fit in the D2 mounting bracket. It might work with a different mounting bracket, but that was far more work than I was interested in.
I've got a D1 pump and bracket, if you want it to do this mod, shoot me a pm.
Can ship it from AL.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What fluid should I use in a Chevy PS pump? I had used PS fluid in my 98s OEM pump and in the OEM pump from a 95 Disco I swapped when the original began to fail, and I tried Lucas PS stop leak in the 2nd pump before I read that LR recommended ATF. I am still having a groaning and leaking and foaming problem with the 2nd pump and have been adding Type F ATF when it gets low which is often. So... did PS fluid kill both Pumps? And should I use ATF or PS fluid in a replacement Chevy Pump?

Last edited by philwarner; 03-23-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:17 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by philwarner
What fluid should I use in a Chevy PS pump? I had used PS fluid in my 98s OEM pump and in the OEM pump from a 95 Disco I swapped when the original began to fail, and I tried Lucas PS stop leak in the 2nd pump before I read that LR recommended ATF. I am still having a groaning and leaking and foaming problem with the 2nd pump and have been adding Type F ATF when it gets low which is often. So... did PS fluid kill both Pumps? And should I use ATF or PS fluid in a replacement Chevy Pump?
You should have used PS fluid... Probably should have researched the new pump a little better, you may have killed it depending on how long you've been running ATF though it. That being said, even with PS fluid, it'll groan on full lock.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vanbadri
You should have used PS fluid... Probably should have researched the new pump a little better, you may have killed it depending on how long you've been running ATF though it. That being said, even with PS fluid, it'll groan on full lock.
Thanks for the reply,

I haven't installed a Chevy PS pump yet and was asking what to use if/when I did. So... PS fluid then. My other question was whether PS fluid destroys OEM pumps? I wonder what is different about the OEM pumps that LR said to use ATF instead of PS fluid in them; I assume it is the pump that required ATF and not the rack?

Quick Reply: Chevy Power Steering Pump Works Great