Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Classic Blower Problems, maybe not the fuse box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Classic Blower Problems, maybe not the fuse box?

B]1995 Discovery[/B ]So, I have what may or may not be the classic blower problem. Over a period of a week or two, my blower would stop, and start again all on its own. So here is everything I've done. First of all, I took out the controller, removed the fan speed switch, cleaned and inspected it. I put it back in, and nothing. While it was out, I inspected all wiring and harness connectors and they look great. So, I scratched my head a bit, came on the forum, and learned how the fuse box can get a bit shady around the blower fuse. I checked for power and it was all good. 12.4VDC solid. Pulled the relay, took the cover off, and that looked good too. So I wondered if the blower was bad, hooked it up to a 12 volt power supply, and it purred like a kitten. So I started combing my rover over with a fine tooth comb. Engine fuse block looks great, all wiring, harnesses and connectors look good, and I looked at the resistor, (with doubt because if it was that- at least I would have high speed). I started to pull the fuse block, as I got about two thirds done, I was afraid I was going to break it, so I reassembeled it, and put it all back. I don't get it. I have power everywhere, I've replaced the relay, blower is good, relay is good, switch is good, and both fuse boxes appear good. Then I got the genious idea of looking at the relay. I remembered having power at the relay, so I rechecked and sure enough, plenty of voltage. So, I then jumpered the connector that the relay goes into, and boom, it worked! So I popped the cover off the relay, and manualy closed the relay, and again I have a working blower, and all 4 speeds work! Let go of the relay, and it stops working!I tried the same on the old relay, and again, only works when manually closing it. I'm lost! Any input would be great! I thought I went over all this pretty good, but obviously, I'm missing something! Please help! I've also scrutinized every manual and trouble shooting book I can find!

Old 11-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

The switch ISN'T good. That is what makes it CLASSIC.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:03 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to disagree... when bypassing the relay, the switch does work. Any other suggestions?

Old 11-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Went right over your head.....best of luck.