Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Issue

Replaced the clutch over the last couple of days. Got everything back together today and the clutch pedal goes to the floor. Tried bleeding it, no help. I 'think the pedal doesn't travel as far as it used to. Clutch pedal worked fine before replacing clutch. I did accidentally push the clutch pedal while the slave cylinder was removed from the bell housing, not sure if that could have done something. I unbolted the slave cylinder and my wife gently pushed on the pedal and the slave cylinder began to push away away from the bell housing.

1994 Discovery I. 5-Speed. All stock except for bumpers.

I'm thinking I broke the slave cylinder. Any ideas would be a great help right now.

Thanks,

Derek V

Last edited by DerekV; 12-19-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Hmmmm, sounds like you have it covered. Usually it's either a leak (and you'll see fluid somewhere) or air in the system. I haven't had to deal with the system on the Disco (other than a small bleed four years ago) - but have done a couple on older GMs. Can't recall how the slave cylinder looks on the Disco - but if you can, park it on an incline to get the cylinder at an angle to help any air get out through the bleeder when bleeding the system. Have run into that situation in the past.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Drifting

The bleeder nipple is at the top of the slave cylinder, above the fluid line. I am not 100% confident that it is not air in the system, but I figured I could at least pump up some pressure if it was just air in the line. No fluid leaks.

Derek V

Old 12-21-2011, 01:56 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would suspect the master reservoir feed hole (tiny pin hole) to the piston bore is blocked fluid will not top up the piston so after pressing it down bleeding of air and fluid then locking of the nipple you effectively have a vacuum created in the piston

Old 12-21-2011, 06:14 AM
Drifting

That sounds plausible. Try using a piece of wire to clean it?

Derek v

Old 12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Winching

was the bleeding successful? are you able to build pressure in the lines? no visible leaks?

if so... then id assume its a slave cylinder issue.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Drifting

Took some 0.32 wire and made sure both holes in the reservoir were clear, no problem there. No leaks. Oddly, the only time my wife felt pressure pushing the pedal down was with the bleed valve open and fluid coming out.

Slave cylinder is ordered. Ill get it swapped out and the system bled as soon as it arrives.

Derek V

Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Derek...

To swap the slave, in your opinion, are you going to drop Y-pipe again?

Need to know for my reference...

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Drifting

No need to drop the exhaust. I'll look at which sockets and wrench I need tomorrow when I swap it. With some extensions I go above the exhaust from the front and the socket fits right on the the two bolts holding it on. Again, ill check, but i think a 9-inch and a 6-inch extension works perfect. I think they are 10mm. Probably a 13-14mm for the hard line.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you rover is a 94, you will probably have to replace the hoses also. Mine were gummed up and had to be replaced on my 95.

Quick Reply: Clutch Issue