Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Code Reader

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to be off topic but do any of the cheaper code readers do the ABS codes as well? I have been a little confused on this as some of the very expensive units specifically state they do ABS codes.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

morg - i cannot speak for all of them, but I can say that on my '96 Disco I, I have never gotten an ABS code on my reader. I believe that there is a separate connector that is needed in order to retrieve/interpret them, but with the attached guide I have not been able to justify the additional expense.

Attached Files
Old 04-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even WITH this, and after clearing the codes twice, I ended up pulling the ABS fuse from under the hood because it "ratcheted" and caused me to sail through a stop sign and subsequent intersection.
A forum search regarding pulling the ABS fuse will provide you with some entertaining reading....just ask CALEBO...

Old 04-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ultra-gauge

Anyone here have or used the Ultra gauge? ultra-gauge dot com
I've been considering trying it out since its $60 and supposedly reads and clears codes, reads pending codes, can set alarms for each code, gives live data, etc.

If it does what it advertises for Rovers at that price, i'm in.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:26 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
Anyone here have or used the Ultra gauge? ultra-gauge dot com
I've been considering trying it out since its $60 and supposedly reads and clears codes, reads pending codes, can set alarms for each code, gives live data, etc.

If it does what it advertises for Rovers at that price, i'm in.
Looks like a scangauge wannabe. Not sure how great it would be or what the refresh rate would be. I have the ElmScan5 and it's nice. But has a slow refresh rate. But that's what you get for $30

Old 12-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Drifting
Default Actron cp9125

Danny,

I just bought an actron cp9125 and when I tried to connect it the plug did not match up with the female connector on my truck. 97 disco. Do you know of any adapters. Picture attached.
Thanks for your input

Matt Vail

Attached Thumbnails Code Reader-image.jpg  
Old 12-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Danny is MIA, has been for a while.
That white plug you found is not the correct one. It shouldn't be that close to the outside kickpanel. Usually if the lower shroud is removed the black OBDII plug will be tucked up near the transmission tunnel. And it will match your reader.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Fish,

Thanks for that. Kinda relieved. How do you go about removing the lower shroud? What is that white plug for?

Originally Posted by fishEH
Danny is MIA, has been for a while.
That white plug you found is not the correct one. It shouldn't be that close to the outside kickpanel. Usually if the lower shroud is removed the black OBDII plug will be tucked up near the transmission tunnel. And it will match your reader.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Lower shroud is held in with 3-4 plastic push connectors. Grab a panel pulling tool(like a forked tongue shape) and remove the plastic connectors. Panel is easy to remove then. There is a port for your OBDII connector on that panel, if you don't see the connector, that means it was pushed through.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts

Mine was pushed up behind the lower panel. I plugged in my cheap reader, (paid about 20 bucks 10 years ago for it on sale) and it will read engine codes only. My ABS light is on and I'd love to reset it or fix the problem. I just can't justify spending $350+ on a reader unless I know it will do the job. Most of the discussions on here talk about a DII and doesn't address the DI's

Quick Reply: Code Reader