Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Coil spring options and your input

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil spring options and your input

Who recommends what springs and why? I want to replace my springs and have read about OME springs, I dont think I've read anywhere about wether or not they provide lift..... which I dont want. What are the best replacement springs? I'd like to retain the stock ride hight, but stiffen it up a bit.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

OME springs will give you approx 2" in lift.
So will TerraFirma.
The only ones that will not give you a lift over stock height (which is higher than you are now) is Rover springs.
You can get OEM springs in standard and HD ratings.
I am looking at those in HD but I am still weighing my options.
I do NOT want a lift, I dont need one and I am 5'5" and the kids need to beable to climb in on their own too.
If you get on Rovers North snail mail list they have a GREAT publication with stories, parts, etc. and in the suspension section they give a description of the springs, the ride height vs stock as well as a "good on road great off road" or "great on road good off road" with each shock and spring kit.
My other consideration right now is the "Big Blue" springs from AtlanticBritish.

I dont know about you but I cant afford to spend $700 on shocks and springs nor do I believe that yellow paint makes them better than black or blue paint.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How about you tell us, first, what you use the Disco for, is it modified, do you go off road alot and why you don't want a lift, which is impossible to get around? Your old 98 springs have easily dropped about 1.5"s since it was new, so even installing new factory springs will pick you up by that amount.
Go to a medium duty set of OME coils along with HD OME shocks, from Lucky 8, and you will love it.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Mudding

My disco is a daily driver/ light offroad adventure rig (stock).... I dont really wanna lift it only do to the other issues associated with lifting a 4x4 vehicle, i.e. driveline vibration, caster issues. Not sure if any of those present themselves on a 2 inch lift with these, but maybe you can answer that for me.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Upto a 2" lift on a Rover is no issue at all, anything over that and then you need new brake lines, you will need to replace the rotoflex with a u-joint, remove the sway bars, mess with the radius arms...all kinds of stuff.
But with 2" all you need to do is slap in new springs.

Atlantic British has a set of HD springs shipped for under $400.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ome HD will get you 2.5" of lift which it did for me. I'm going to throw 1" spacers under mine and add some extended brake lines and go from there. I don't plan on changing the radius arms (to correct castor) or driveshaft, but if I have to I will when I get there. If I need any more lift it'll be a body lift.

And a 2.5" lift really isn't much at all. It just looks more like it SHOULD. your the only person that'll notice it is even there.
UNTILL you get bigger tires. Also the hd springs are NOT too stiff for DD.

You can get the terra firma 2" or 4" lift also.

Once you understand it all it's very simple.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had ARB OME HD spings installed. I doubt it went the full 3" as I haven't had any brake line issues, but i never measured. I also had 2' wheel spacers put in as the M/T's 265/75/R16's needed a little help with turning radius. It does vibrate pretty hard over about 63 MPH so I just stay at 60. That could be anything and not related though. Offroading with it twice and it's very comfortable. On road it got a little bouncy, but tolerable.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Mudding

Anyone care to post some photo examples???

Old 11-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name:  IMG_1697.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  119.1 KB
Name:  IMG_1694.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  120.0 KB
And here is what it looks like upright in daylight...
Name:  IMG_1684.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  102.2 KB

Old 11-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Mudding

Looks nice... what size tires are you running?

Quick Reply: Coil spring options and your input