Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

collector car insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default collector car insurance?

Is your Disco insured as a collector car or as a normal driver with a regular insurance company? Hagerty gave me a quote on my 86 Daimler Double 6, 04 Mini Cooper S JCW, and 98 Disco but then decided today that the Disco is not collectible and doesn’t fit their criteria for insuring although they will insure the other two..

Does anyone have their Disco insured with a collector car company?

Old 08-22-2018, 01:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Wow.. I'm really surprised that Hagerty wouldn't insure the Discovery as they published this article a couple of years ago:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...t-collectables

I was just having this conversation at lunch today with my colleagues.. thinking about replacing the engine in the DII and someone said 'you know what is going to happen after you get it replaced.. you're going to get into an accident and total the DII and then what?'..

I said that I'd look into calling Hagerty before then. Guess that won't be happening?.. They just had their employee picnic here in TC and one of the guys had a light blue RRC. I'm assuming that they insure that seeing as he's their employee.

I delivered something to the CEO's house last year in my DII and her assistant was crazy about my Rover - wanted to know all about it. I'm really bummed to hear that you can't get insurance thru them.

I'd be interested in hearing others opinions as well.

Good luck!

Christina

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 08-22-2018 at 01:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by KernowDiscovery:
mr4x4 (08-30-2018), philwarner (08-22-2018), Toran (08-23-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 08:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Wow.. I'm really surprised that Hagerty wouldn't insure the Discovery as they published this article a couple of years ago:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...t-collectables

I was just having this conversation at lunch today with my colleagues.. thinking about replacing the engine in the DII and someone said 'you know what is going to happen after you get it replaced.. you're going to get into an accident and total the DII and then what?'..

I said that I'd look into calling Hagerty before then. Guess that won't be happening?.. They just had their employee picnic here in TC and one of the guys had a light blue RRC. I'm assuming that they insure that seeing as he's their employee.

I delivered something to the CEO's house last year in my DII and her assistant was crazy about my Rover - wanted to know all about it. I'm really bummed to hear that you can't get insurance thru them.

I'd be interested in hearing others opinions as well.

Good luck!

Christina
Thanks for that article. I sent the link and the Disco portion text to Hagerty and asked why our Discos were a "long-Shot" collectable two years ago but not collectable two years later. I asked if the other four cars on the list are no longer considered collectable too.

I also asked them to reinstate my Disco to my quote and policy. Not holding my breath, but this seems a bit hypocritical on their part to let you get a quote but then say they won't insure the vehicles they quoted. One rep had even said I needed to send photos of the inside rear as well as the Disco's exterior and didn't mention it was not insurable.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (08-25-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

Loved the article Kernow, thanks for the link. Short, but sweet. And pretty spot on too!

Old 08-23-2018, 10:39 AM
Rock Crawling

I called Hagerty this morning and after mentioning the article and answering a number of questions and with several pauses to go check with an underwriter, I got the Disco reinstated on my Hagerty policy. I apparently made the mistake of checking towing as a use rather than just pleasure driving, and $3500 was too low an agreed value; they increased the agreed value to $7500 after reviewing my photos and doing a quick search for similar Discos for sale. The new cost was more than double the Disco’s part of the premium from the original Hagerty on-line quote, but the cost was nearly identical to the annual cost that Liberty Mutual quoted for insuring it with less comp and collision coverage along with our 2010 Honda Odyssey Touring and 99 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport (wife's flea market van) Hagerty still has a low risk exposure because of the limited mileage I drive the Disco, but now I am well covered in case a local deer goes Kamikaze on the grill or broadsides it.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by philwarner
I called Hagerty this morning and after mentioning the article and answering a number of questions and with several pauses to go check with an underwriter, I got the Disco reinstated on my Hagerty policy. I apparently made the mistake of checking towing as a use rather than just pleasure driving, and $3500 was too low an agreed value; they increased the agreed value to $7500 after reviewing my photos and doing a quick search for similar Discos for sale. The new cost was more than double the Disco’s part of the premium from the original Hagerty on-line quote, but the cost was nearly identical to the annual cost that Liberty Mutual quoted for insuring it with less comp and collision coverage along with our 2010 Honda Odyssey Touring and 99 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport (wife's flea market van) Hagerty still has a low risk exposure because of the limited mileage I drive the Disco, but now I am well covered in case a local deer goes Kamikaze on the grill or broadsides it.
That's Terrific!!! Glad to hear that you were able to persuade them to your way of thinking Hopefully they'll work with me when the time comes. Thanks for the follow-up!

Old 08-26-2018, 09:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Had no idea you could do this. I need to explore this option for my D1. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the premium through Hagerty?

Old 09-03-2018, 10:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Matt927
What is the premium through Hagerty?
I have three cars insured on the Hagerty policy and adding the Disco to the other two increased the total by $326 per year for 50/100/50 liability, an agreed value of $7500, and zero deductible on both comp and collision. That is very close to what I was quoted for a daily driver policy with no collision coverage and no guarantee of recovery in case of a major loss. I've been through the "total loss" scenario when a well known company decided to total my wife's mini van for hail damage rather than repair it and the person in their "total loss" group in Texas low balled the value and denied evidence of comparable vans both for sale and sold at much higher $$$ in our area than his valuation; I finally settled for less than I thought reasonable just to get it over with and dropped that company I had been with for 40 years: I'd prefer not to go through that again.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for the information. Does Hagerty require the vehicle be garage kept?

Quick Reply: collector car insurance?