Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Colored Snorkels: Who's intersted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Colored Snorkels: Who's intersted?

Im currently working on new snorkel designs for the 4X4 industry. I will be casting colored snorkel kits with some very tough and unique designs. If you have any thoughts, I would very much like to consider them. I have been working with plastics for over twenty years. I have a complete shop. Today I build replicas and masters of prototype projects (inventions). If you know of a part which is too expensive and can be replicated, please offer your input. Please feel free to contact me and let me know what parts should be cast and produced. Thanks.

Last edited by LRD2&ME; 06-08-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

IM very interested in a colored snorkel provided that color is matte black. I've been running around south philly trying to find some exhaust piping that i can DIY one of those things with. IDK when i'll be prepared to shell out any kind of quid for it, but at a minimum im prepared to enter discussions.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yah, ^^^THIS^^^flat black I believe would be the most desirable color.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Mantec one, in flat black. It runs inside the fender and gets out at the bottom of the windshield.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can replicate the Safari D1 snorkel for a decent price, I'd be SUPER interested. They're currently priced over 400 bucks - which in my mind is retarded.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No snorkel should be above 150..because....the material DOESNT COST EVEN 30...just FYI

Old 06-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Winching

The material can be very expensive. Designing the prototype takes countless hours and trial-by-error until finnished. The mold process can take many tries to get a perfect result. For example a one gallon bucket of liquid plastic costs between $130-$170. The Mold material costs twice that. Injection molding pellets are a bit cheaper, but not by much. Pressure and heat to cast are required. Which requires equipment that costs a pretty penny to maintain. I expect to be able to sell the black snorkels for around $200. Solid colored snorkles $250. Multi-colored and glow-in-the-dark $350. I like the idea about going under the wheel well and coming up at the windshield. Why Flat-Black? Seems Dull and not very showy.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well for me and the Epsom green I just feel like the only other color to go with would be paint to match and I think it would look better to match the trim than match the body. But idk how interested I would be in something really showy. Maybe if I saw it on someone doses first. I could certainly be talked into it.
The other thing regarding cost is that the Inner surface of the snorkel has to be super smooth because it's already making the engine breath through a straw so you don't want to slow that air down any more than you have to. Another feature I'd like is to be able to rotate the head from front facing for good weather/no sand to rear facing for down pours and sand application.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm already warming to the concept of a colored snorkel. Like some fox racing blue or some obnoxious yellow maybe. But i think that because it's never been done it's hard for me to picture.
Has anybody had the fender off yet? I was just thinking about popping one and seeing what I could run behind it. Does anyone know what the widest pipe you can run behind the wing is l? 2.5"? 3"?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Winching

360 degree lockable rotating head. Too easy. Very nice suggestion. thanks

Quick Reply: Colored Snorkels: Who's intersted?