Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Colored Wiring diagrams

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:54 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colored Wiring diagrams

I have asked this before, but I still cannot find a colored wiring diagram for my Disco I 96. It does not appear in the RAVE as far as I can determine. I need circuit info for my tail light/instrument panel lights out problem (I plan to toggle switch those lights instead of purchasing a new blinker switch assembly since all other functions of this complex switch work fine). I also would like to see the wiring diagram of the stereo system.
Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for a DiscoI 96 circuit by circuit?

Mark

Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The ETM on RAVE has all the circuits with colors indicated. You just have to look at the color key.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Drifting
Default Etm?

Sorry, but I don't know an ETM from an ATM...but I know that all LR repairs require a visit to the latter. Could you spell it out to me where to find the wiring diagram....interesting that I can read an electrical schematic but I can't seem to find it in the RAVE....

Old 02-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

it's under the heading "electrical troubleshooting manuals"
As was said, it's not color, but the colors are indicated.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...t=38559&page=2

I just wrote this up the other day. it is a step by step how to on what you are trying to do, only difference is instead of manually flipping a toggle switch it is using a relay to do it automatically so you don't actually have to do anything manually, just use the switch as you normally would!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

and if you just want the wire info I will do my best to break it down for you (use the plug diagram from that link)

1. Blue - this wire is the output to your fog lights when the head lights are turned on
2. blue/red - this wire is the output to your low beams
3. brown/green - this wire is the input power wire for your side lamps/gauge lights
4. red - this wire is the output to your side lamps/gauge lights
5. blue/white - this wire is the output to your high beams
6. brown/purple - this wire is the input power for the fog lights, low beams, and high beams.
7. purple/orange - I am not sure on this one, it lists horns but I think it may only be for base model trucks, needless to say you shouldn't need to mess with it if it is there.

hope this helps

Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Roadrunner
I have asked this before, but I still cannot find a colored wiring diagram for my Disco I 96. It does not appear in the RAVE as far as I can determine. I need circuit info for my tail light/instrument panel lights out problem (I plan to toggle switch those lights instead of purchasing a new blinker switch assembly since all other functions of this complex switch work fine). I also would like to see the wiring diagram of the stereo system.
Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for a DiscoI 96 circuit by circuit?

Mark
Did you download the entire (590 mb zipped) file or just the Workshop Manual? The "ETM" is exclusively made up of all wiring diagrams, troubleshooting steps and a location guide of ALL connections, fuses, grounds, and components.

As far as the ETM / ATM reference... there is no reason in the world why a repair automatically necessitates a trip to the "latter". Over the years I have found these vehicles to be simple and fairly inexpensive to maintain....IF you are compotent to do your own work, well... I think you will be able to solve your issue cheaply and properly.

Try the top link located in my signature and you WILL find the ETM... Once the LARGE rave file is fully downloaded you will find in the RAVE folder... then the PDF folder... then the "lj" folder.... then the "etlj96" file..... voila!

Last edited by Cosmic88; 02-25-2011 at 06:36 AM. Reason: to make it easier
Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Drifting
Default the big picture

Thanks Cosmo and Chris,

I needed that specific direction to get to my ultimate destination which will be a camping trip in woods with my Disco perched on a scenic plateau-Priceless.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Up and At 'em

You're up awfully early today... if you are really in Cali. that is...

Let us know if you need any more specific help sir.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:44 AM
Drifting
Default relay versus splice

Ok then, yeah I do most of my internet work in the middle of the night...which can blurr my thinking -but thanks to you guys I now have the full RAVE, with the the electric trouble shooting section specific to my year and model. Yahoo!

Also, I now understand Rover Chris's professional fix to the tail light/instrument cluster lights out fix using a new relay to fill in for the burnout in the steering column blinker switch.

my question now is.....would there be a problem with simply splicing the red wire [(4) tail lights/instruments] to the blue/red wire [(2) headlamps] instead of using a relay. This splice would have the side lights, instrument cluster and tail lights come on with the headlights when the stalk headlight switch is fully engaged (turned two clicks). I know that essentially I would not have a parking light only function, but I don't think I would really miss that.

Mark

Quick Reply: Colored Wiring diagrams