Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Congrats AbnMike!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 02:39 PM
TReK
Received 419 Likes on 351 Posts
Default Congrats AbnMike!

Sold his nicely sorted rig on Bring a Trailer for $15k.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...r-discovery-4/

Are disco prices finally bouncing off the bottom?

The following users liked this post:
AbnMike (03-14-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 04:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

15k no f'ing way - makes no sense theres nothing special at all about the rig (dont get me wrong its clean and stands proud) - ok the safari rack makes us drool but other than that- **** I got a 98' with only 115k, all new brake and coolant system etc.....
for the low price of 19k! any takers...........

FloridaRover (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 04:21 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by whiskeynipple0088
15k no f'ing way - makes no sense theres nothing special at all about the rig (dont get me wrong its clean and stands proud) - ok the safari rack makes us drool but other than that- **** I got a 98' with only 115k, all new brake and coolant system etc.....
for the low price of 19k! any takers...........
" Nothing Special "???....I think you overlooked the 150hp ADDING red valve covers!

Old 03-13-2018, 05:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts

Great looking front seats!
Wish I could locate steering wheel gripper like that and a cool placement for flashlight!

Old 03-14-2018, 10:13 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Walt.

Ya'll can joke, but clearly I presented a very well maintained and well taken care of vehicle. Yeah I painted the valve covers red. Big deal. The point is I removed them just to replace the gaskets, even though they weren't leaking, as preventative maintenance because they had 30k miles on them. And rather than throw dirty covers back on, I cleaned them up. I added some value, even if it's just a splash of color. And while I was there I took a photo of the motor to show how clean and non-sludged up it was. I'd put the engine internals proving regular oil changes against photos of anyone who wants to joke about it.

The motor was rebuilt, the drivetrain was done correctly, the fuel system was replaced, including injectors, the brake system was entirely replaced.

I have no codes, ABS works, everything including the clock works, and it's 100% rust free other than a slight bit of surface rust that was addressed. Coolant hoses, vacuum hoses, all in great shape and or brand new.

Plus I have proven OBDII Live data showing that motor is in 100% perfect running condition, including 0.0% LTFT numbers, correct 02 sensor numbers, correct running temperature, correct intake temp, everything is 100% correct and in spec.

If people have all of that, plus some fun good looking add ons like a rack and lights and power accessories that are all 100% wired correctly, water proofed, run correctly and not wired all over the place....

well then by all means, put it up for sale and see what happens. If you get $16 or 20, or $25,000 for it then good. That's beneficial for everyone else with a well maintained and well presented LR.

The rising tide lifts all boats? Maybe I set a new standard for not only maintenance, but proving maintenance and how to present a sell a vehicle. The G4 currently for sale has no videos. I did a walk around, start up, driving, showing dash lights, stereo, wipers, washers, everything on mine works, and works well.

The recurring comments about how I was the best seller on BAT (as well as numerous private messages I had stating the same) and that I set a new standard for selling a vehicle...That's what sold the Land Rover for the price it got combined with the proven maintenance.

Last edited by AbnMike; 03-14-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:11 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Clearly it was just because a Leg wanted one and got it from Airborne troop...

Old 03-14-2018, 11:24 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by coop74
Clearly it was just because a Leg wanted one and got it from Airborne troop...
Damnit! I forgot to ask if he was a dirty no good stinking leg!

Old 03-14-2018, 12:46 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

My only complaint is, why didn't you get more?!
Seriously, the higher price that any of these sell for, only helps the value hold, or go up for the rest of us.
The way my Disco eats money, any extra dollar I can get if I sell it, is a plus.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:51 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
My only complaint is, why didn't you get more?!
Seriously, the higher price that any of these sell for, only helps the value hold, or go up for the rest of us.
The way my Disco eats money, any extra dollar I can get if I sell it, is a plus.
Well trust me, I'd have loved to have gotten more. I'm happy with what it sold for, not only because I probably broke even on it (I started with a well sorted and maintained rust free example and then added to it) but also because of what it did for Discovery prices overall. The ones that are left and haven't been junked from poor maintenance or discarded due to rust are worth more and that's starting to show.

Also have to consider the bidders owe a 5% buyers premium to the site, and they have to contend with shipping or flying in and driving if not local, so he's in it for $18k or so. That's the real actual cost/sale price all said and done.

Sixpack577 (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 12:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OverRover

" Nothing Special "???....I think you overlooked the 150hp ADDING red valve covers!
HAHAHA Nice.
We're all just jealous!
Good for you man!

AbnMike (03-14-2018)