Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Cosmic88....thank you (p1193)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Cosmic88....thank you (p1193)

just a post to say thanks to a member who , without knowing, helped me to diagnose a repair that otherwise would have left me guessing for a while. I had a P1193 code come up.....o2 sensor heater circuit ..open circuit downstream sensor ....BUT , IT DOESNT SAY WHICH ONE !!!! In another post he had listed the wiring for the o2 sensors.....red wire, power to heater circuit, white wire, ground. With this info I checked continuity on both rear sensors ...and sure enough....one had an open circuit.
I hope this info will help someone else out of a jam.
thanks again COS !!
Rod

Old 11-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My pleasure...

Rod, I'm happy to hear you were able to get that O2 problem solved and pleased I could help (indirectly).

I suppose that illustrates the whole point of these forums. We are lucky to have a place where we can share our knowledge and experience...preferably it is based on facts with specific details... All too often these treads turn into debates based on opinion and style.

Master-debaters...

Well, now I get to go home and tell the wife she needs to quit that yappin' because all that time spent memorizing Workshop texts, reading technical manuals and service bulletins and time spent under the hood(s) has benefitted someone in the Rover community...

Then (in this fantasy of mine) she'll see the winsdom in my words and agree that I should continue my "garage affair" during dinner and into the wee hours of the night... God I hope she never reads this.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone!

Last edited by Cosmic88; 11-24-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol reminds me of A Christmas Story

Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job COS!

Old 11-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So Xceller, what was the real problem? Open Circuit is a condition, was it open due to a broken wire or was it something else? Did you have to replace the O2 Sensor or were you able to do a repair. What was the root cause? Please share the details with us all.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:43 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

xceller8, I have the same trouble code. do you still have the link to the post where he listed the wiring?

Old 11-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
Rod, I'm happy to hear you were able to get that O2 problem solved and pleased I could help (indirectly).

I suppose that illustrates the whole point of these forums. We are lucky to have a place where we can share our knowledge and experience...preferably it is based on facts with specific details... All too often these treads turn into debates based on opinion and style.

Master-debaters...

Well, now I get to go home and tell the wife she needs to quit that yappin' because all that time spent memorizing Workshop texts, reading technical manuals and service bulletins and time spent under the hood(s) has benefitted someone in the Rover community...

Then (in this fantasy of mine) she'll see the winsdom in my words and agree that I should continue my "garage affair" during dinner and into the wee hours of the night... God I hope she never reads this.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone!
I am going to go ahead and disagree, forums are a great waste of valuable time.

I will agree on the Happy Thanksgiving though.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

DannyLee...the problem was an open circuit in the heating circuit of the o2 sensor itself.....this code only tells you that there is an open circuit ...but doesnt direct you to which rear sensor. Withe the info provided by Cosmic88, I was able to diagnose which sensor it was (bank B) in about 5 minutes with my trusty ohm meter. I replaced the sensor with a new one from AB and so far so good (300 miles ago).

NiteTrain......the post was "P1176 code" originally posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

your o2 sensors have 2 circuits....one for heating the sensor , and one for sending info back to the ecu

Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

xceller8, do you remember the ohm readings? I checked mine today..the one I suspect is bad was reading @ 12 ohm and the good one was reading @ 6 ohm

Old 11-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Spike555
I am going to go ahead and disagree, forums are a great waste of valuable time.

I will agree on the Happy Thanksgiving though.
we don't help you find the actual problem, we make you check everything else that it could be and then let you find the problem by process of elimination on your own!

Quick Reply: Cosmic88....thank you (p1193)