Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Couple quick body questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Couple quick body questions

Does anyone have the rear interior of their D1 (mine's a 96) exposed to the body panels?

I'm asking because mine dips a couple inches on the rear left...looking at the back from the drivers seat, inside.

I had significant rust there but judging from the original seam it looks like it is meant to do that for water or some other reason. There are no cracks or telltale structural faults.

While I have you here, the two large bolts that bolt the rear seats to the floor and the floor to the frame. Can I take them out for awhile or do they need to stay there at all times?

Attached Thumbnails Couple quick body questions-3.jpg   Couple quick body questions-unknown-1-.jpg  
Old 10-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you are planning on driving the truck, might be a good idea to have body attached to frame.... if these are going to be out for a while, disconnect inertia swtch or something else to prevent cranking and driving by someone else.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Pro Wrench

im not worried about someone else driving it. im worried about driving it around to do a few things including picking up new stainless steel bolts at your favorite store.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, I can see the difficulty is asking her highness for her Disco to go to the House of Screws... So you may wish to remove and replace when you are working. Bad if you had to slam on brakes and body tried to shift, etc.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you talking about the 6 little bolts that secure the seats to the floor?

I gotta go out and look at my interior. I do not think mine slopes like that.

EDIT: Went out and looked, mine does not slope at all. Yours is most like fatigued a bit.

The bolts are the two star heads for the seat belts.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 10-26-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Pro Wrench

Yes, the star heads...that's correct.

I have sag. That's sad. Let's see if I can't shore it up as I complete the floor.

long story short Casa de Tornillos had the right size. i didn't realize the nut was welded to the bracket below so i wasn't able to get it in stainless. I have one in and secure and the other I have to get the broken bolt out of somehow...from below.

And Savannah I can go to La Casa anytime I want...and my wife has the D2 which has it's own set of problems.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Pro Wrench

By the way Danny...thanks for going out and checking. I'm making the plan for the diamond plate and am going to get it and maybe cut it tomorrow. I'm going to have to be tricky because the pieces I am using are not a perfect fit.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was wondering if it was a big sheet or what. You spoke of washing it out with a hose, you may want to leave a drain in each corner.

Since we have a large roll around air compressor from Sears, I have taken to blowing my out with the air spray. Quick clean-up. My interior is totally gutted in the rear for now.

I am toying with finishing out each inside rear corner wirh some built in storage using items I have salvaged from various things and sort of repurposed. I gotta get me a camera soon. I have a neat stainless steel sink that is insulated and has a ss cover as well. So I was going to cut a drain hole in the floor, running a PVC drain pipe so it can be a self draining cooler or handsink. Probably mount it in the rear passengers corner, in front of the window with storage underneath. Across from it have another storage area with a top mounted at window height and sort of square up the cargo area lined up with the rear door. I may even mount a large ss drawer in the center with a table top on that and a little storage area underneath. If I do, it will be installed with a large set of clamps mounted to the floor for easy removal. The frame is square tubing and it fits in the existing grooves in the floor pan. I salvaged that stuff from a large fancy propane grill someone was replacing and throwing the old one away. The aluminum body went to the recycler, but I kept the above items. They were to nice to throw away.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

While not the exact same as D1, the D2 workshop manual has lots of drawings of frames and body assembly, bottom view of body work, etc.and sealant methods, and panel repair methods, which might give some ideas. Look at Chassis and Body Dimensions, Panel Repairs, Body Sealing Materials, and Corosion Prevention.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Pro Wrench

Danny, it was a 4x8 but the welder had taken a corner of it off. THe 4' dimension is not quite big enough to cover the floor from left to right. The long side is needed to cover from the rear door to the rear seat foot well. I'll check it today and if it's not okay I'll go but a new one.

Thanks for the lead Savannah...I'll see if it has anything for me especially in dealing with the right rear sag. I found an official LRD Water Ingress Manual on one of the boards. Show's all the spots that water is likely to get in the vehicle.

I'm starting a new floor thread today because I am in reach of finishing this.

Quick Reply: Couple quick body questions