Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

D1 Bumper Hunt

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default D1 Bumper Hunt

Hi all,

I've been hunting for a while for a steel front bumper for my D1 that's not going to break the bank. In pursuit of this goal, I've been looking for used bars. Ideally I'd like something like the ARB Deluxe, but there doesn't seem to be a used market for these. Right now I have the stock brush-guard, but I'm looking for something different and a little more substantial. Can't seem to find anything anywhere... Anyone have a lead on something like this?

Old 10-10-2018, 03:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

A little late to the party but always look in the "For Sale" section because when the come up the go quick. https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...bumpers-90964/

Old 10-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ihscouts
A little late to the party but always look in the "For Sale" section because when the come up the go quick. https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...bumpers-90964/
Ah yeah, I try to keep an eye on it, also Craigslist. Hard to get people to part with them separate from the vehicle. Was just curious if there was something I'm missing as there don't seem to be any out there currently. Seemed weird to me as there's a massive used market for almost every part on these cars. Cheers, man.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:59 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the u weld kits for Jeep Cherokees maybe you could make one work, the kits are reasonably priced.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:22 AM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

What for? Seriously. I bought one 7 years ago because I thought I needed it for offroading. I had the same factory bumper and brush guard you have now. I wanted a winch. I wanted it to not just get totally destroyed the first time it scraped a rock. I wanted to be able to lift on it with the high-lift jack. I got one of those plate steel bumpers with the tubular brush guards. I've been wheeling it all this time and I think I scraped it on rocks twice. I've never lifted on it (it's way too high and the suspension travel too long to use a Hi Lift on it). I used the winch and D-rings dozens of times. I've also used the rock sliders many, many times and the diff guards are brutalized. But the front bumper barely gets touched. I'm not saying you don't need one, but to think about what it will really do for you so you get or build what really works. Honestly, other than holding the winch and D-rings which can be done a number of different ways, my front bumper primarily just "looks." Get one that has the looks you want because that's probably what it will end up doing more than anything else - just looking a certain way.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by nathanb
What for? Seriously. I bought one 7 years ago because I thought I needed it for offroading. I had the same factory bumper and brush guard you have now. I wanted a winch. I wanted it to not just get totally destroyed the first time it scraped a rock. I wanted to be able to lift on it with the high-lift jack. I got one of those plate steel bumpers with the tubular brush guards. I've been wheeling it all this time and I think I scraped it on rocks twice. I've never lifted on it (it's way too high and the suspension travel too long to use a Hi Lift on it). I used the winch and D-rings dozens of times. I've also used the rock sliders many, many times and the diff guards are brutalized. But the front bumper barely gets touched. I'm not saying you don't need one, but to think about what it will really do for you so you get or build what really works. Honestly, other than holding the winch and D-rings which can be done a number of different ways, my front bumper primarily just "looks." Get one that has the looks you want because that's probably what it will end up doing more than anything else - just looking a certain way.
Who says I don't want it just for looks? I might get shat on for that, but as my daily driver, I like to feel good about what I'm driving. I'll never install a winch unless it appears on my doorstep, it'd be silly if I'm not doing serious wheeling. (I do want to do some overlanding at some point, though). I only called out the ARB Deluxe because I like the look of it, and it has spots for integrated signals. The TJM is also handsome, as is the Lucky8 for a DII.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

exactly my point -- get what you want, not just what someone else put on craigslist to dump or what you can ghetto-fab yourself. ARB and TJM are reputable. Personally I think they're needlessly heavy, but to each his own - they're not poorly built.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I dig my bumper for a ton of different reasons, recovery points being a big one along with a winch. Good to have items off road. The fact it looks cool is a big bonus