Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

D1 Radiator clog

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default D1 Radiator clog

Is there a cheaper way to flush a clog out of a radiator without taking it to a radiator shop? Is there a poor man's way to tell if it is clogged while it is out of the truck? I am trying to get my D1 ready to sell and I really don't have much money I want to throw into it so any suggestions are welcome!

Old 04-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

"For sale, needs radiator price dropped $500"

Remove the hoses, plug the outlet, pour in a radiator cleaner or a coolant flush product, fill with the garden hose, let it soak.
Remove your plug and flush with plenty of fresh water.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah I've got it listed that way now but I would rather spend 30-40 bucks and recoup the 500! Plus I want to make sure it is the radiator that needs work so I don't blindside someone. Is there a brand that is reccomended?

Old 04-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Team Owner

No, just any name brand of cleaner.
You may even try CLR.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok thanks. This may sound kinda crazy but are there any large "pipe cleaners" that can be shoved into those pipes that run between the fins? Actually I guess I need to google radiators so I can see how the things are put together...

Old 04-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Is this how our radiators are cored?

Attached Thumbnails D1 Radiator clog-ccrp_0707_05_z-cooling_system-radiator_diagram.jpg  

Last edited by salve7; 04-12-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Forgot pic!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Team Owner

Kinda no.
There are two types of rad, down flow and cross flow.
Down flow the hot coolant comes in the top and out the bottom.
Cross flow it comes in one side and out the other.
The cooling tubes that go through the radiator are are really really small, like soda straw small, only smaller.
Its the fins, those funky bent copper thingy's that are bent all to hell that cool the coolant.
The hot coolant comes in one side, being pushed by the water pump, flows across the width of the radiator through those little tubes and then the fins pull the heat away.
Those tubes are small but there are like a million of them, if one or more gets clogged your radiator wont work as well because the coolant cannot flow through the clog.
Think clogged shower drain.
That is why proper cooling system care is so vital.
SO no, you cannot run a pipe cleaner through those little tubes to clean them out.

A radiator is nothing more than a heat exchanger.

If you are stuck on the side of the road with a leaking radiator you can fold over and pinch off the broken tubes and they will not leak.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok that makes sense. There is also a wrecked D1 here in town that a fellow is parting out so I may see what he wants for his radiator if this little trick doesn't work. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No there is not..

Originally Posted by salve7
Is there a cheaper way to flush a clog out of a radiator without taking it to a radiator shop? Is there a poor man's way to tell if it is clogged while it is out of the truck? I am trying to get my D1 ready to sell and I really don't have much money I want to throw into it so any suggestions are welcome!

If you want to sell a rig to someone that is going to blow up than yes. I had a 95 RR 4.0 Se going for 300,000 miles and i have tried and used every trick in the book.. Nothing works... Get a new raditor..

Good Luck, Chris

Old 04-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salve7
If you've got it out, lay it on the ground(on plywood) front side down.

pour in a can of rad flush, then fill it with hot water - walk away and come back tomorrow.
flush the crap out of it, pull the vent plug on top and run water thru it while looking down the vent with a flashlight. (partial block of the lower outlet will drive the water level up, while you're watching.

It is a crossflow left to right from driver's seat.

The tubes are thin,(to get best heat dissipation), so don't poke at them.
the rad shop pulls the end tank to tube them, so you pay.

let us Know how it goes or we jinx the "67
LOL

luck,greg

Quick Reply: D1 Radiator clog