Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

D1 start/stall issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D1 start/stall issues

I have a 96 D1 with an issue. If it's super cold outside I am sometimes having a hard time getting it to start first thing in the morning and then I am experiencing stalls when I come to a stop at a light or intersection. Its like the idle just drops down until it stalls. I have to turn the key off and then restart, give it a little gas while I put it in gear in order to keep it running. If I put it in neutral as I am approaching my stop it will usually stay running. The last two days it has done this even after it has warmed up. Strange thing is sometimes it won't happen once it's warmed up. Other than this it's running fine. Help?
Thanks
Jason

Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

what have you done as far as a general tune up goes ?( plugs /wires/ fuel filter/ throttle body cleaning ) do you have the ability to check the fuel pressure ?

Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plugs and wires, fuel filter, and fuel injectors are a year old. Recently cleaned the tb and iacv. There are no codes. I was having a cold start issue and a high idle issue. I had a rover mechanic take a look at it. They adjusted the TPS and the IACV. They also adjusted the base idle. I picked it up and it ran great all day, all the way home (110 miles). The next morning it was 17 digs outside and I had an extremely difficult time getting it started. I had to give it gas while I cranked it to start. Once started I hade to hold the rpms around 1500 for 30-45 seconds just to get it to idle. I let it warm up for about 10 min. And when I put it in reverse it stalled. The it stalled at every stop I made on my way to work. I called the rover mechanic that worked on it and he said it might be a bad water temp sensor giving a bad reading to the ecu. He said maybe all the wrong settings the fixed were to cover up an underlying issue. I would take it back to him but it's 220 miles round trip. This is the closest rover mechanic to me.

Last edited by jasons; 02-04-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coolant temp sensor

Similar issues have been attributed to a bad Coolant Temp Sensor. Given that it only reared its ugly head after the recent cold weather, I would remove, clean and reinstall it as well as clean and check the electrical connection to ensure a solid "true" connection before I would pay any parts changer to evaluate my rig...

The issues you are describing can be caused by a multitude of things and unless you have a BOAT load of cash to drop...your better off investing the time to get to know YOUR truck and her fickle tendencies and what she likes to run correct. In the long run - it will be time well invested. It may seem overwhelming in the beginning, but sometimes you just gotta nut up and jump in. I mean - if your unable to correct, you might save the parts changer time troubleshooting it. And if you DO correct it...oh the sweet sweet feeling of satisfactory power pushing back into your seat.

Just be careful not to break your arm patting yourself on the back if you DO figure it out. There will be PLENTY of guys on here that will give you props!

Last edited by groundandpound; 02-05-2011 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Because I identified the wrong part outta stupidity/omission