Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

D1 Won't Start; Rapid Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default D1 Won't Start; Rapid Clicking Noise

Hey All,

My Disco 1 decided this morning it didn't want to start. When I try to start it, I hear a rapid clicking, and that's it. The engine won't turn over at all. It was fine and has never done this until this morning. Thankfully, it's in my driveway.

The battery is a couple years old, and I haven't tried to jump it yet, but I kinda doubt that is the issue. My best guess is the starter. I tried tapping it with a small hammer, but that didn't do the trick.

I'm fine with buying a new starter, but I don't want to throw money at the wrong component.

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

Old 04-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue after I tried to start my 96 Disco after a week of not using it. I thought it wasn't my battery and was thinking it was starter related. I let it crank and click for a few seconds and it started. Turns out my battery was almost dead. I had gotten a new starter like maybe 6-9 years ago.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by aceoffadezz
I had a similar issue after I tried to start my 96 Disco after a week of not using it. I thought it wasn't my battery and was thinking it was starter related. I let it crank and click for a few seconds and it started. Turns out my battery was almost dead. I had gotten a new starter like maybe 6-9 years ago.
I'm pretty sure the starter is original on my truck.

I'll try to jump it as soon as my wife returns (with her car) from some errands.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Overlanding

yea funny thing is I bought a new battery, Duralast Gold like last month. I went to the dealership yesterday and they told me I need a new battery. sounds like total BS to me. they said something to the effect of my car requiring 700-800 cranking amps and my battery was only delivering about 400. Maybe you're having that issue too?

Old 04-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by aceoffadezz
yea funny thing is I bought a new battery, Duralast Gold like last month. I went to the dealership yesterday and they told me I need a new battery. sounds like total BS to me. they said something to the effect of my car requiring 700-800 cranking amps and my battery was only delivering about 400. Maybe you're having that issue too?
Well, it must be the battery. I was able to jump it and after letting it run for a while it restarted.

Whew!

Now I only hope it was a cheap battery that would last only 2-3 years. We had AAA replace it, so it may not be a super great brand.

Anyway, lunch and then off to the auto parts store!

Old 04-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Grrrr!

Double checked and now I realize what the "real" problem may have been. The middle cabin light was left on, no doubt by the same daughters that left it on the last time the battery died.

Question is, do I chance it and let the battery get a charge and see if it starts in the morning, or just plunk down for a new one and forget about it?

Old 04-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Overlanding

i think if you bring it to autozone, don't they do a complimentary recharge? don't buy one if you don't have to. you can get them to diagnose your car for free to see if there are any underlying issues.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

if you do end up buying one, make sure you get a big one. I think i got one from autozone with like 850-900 Cold Cranking Amps. I've put two starters in my Disco, the good news is it gets easier everytime

Old 04-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Three Wheeling

Take your battery and have it tested (almost every auto parts does this) they need to put it under a load to see if it is producing the right amperage. If it turns out to be faulty buy an Interstate battery....those off brand auto store brands never seem to be as reliable as the Interstate Megatron II...well at least that has been my experience. I just purchased one for my Disco and I paid $99 for it. I use the same battery in my 3/4 ton work truck as well and they are very reliable

Old 04-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Three Wheeling

well, ara those interstate batteries are not that great, i seem to see alot of dead cells in those things. The company that advance auto contracts to build their batteries is Johnson Controls, they are the leading battery maker, who also make Optima Batteries. Everyday i see where people try to over-think a dead battery situation. Most of the hillbillies in our area come to Advance saying "i think ma alternator done died", when its only their battery. Most batteries last 4-5 years these days. Just start off by taking it to an auto parts store (advance auto) and get it charged over night on the slow charger, then see how it goes. If you have access to a voltmeter you can check the voltage on top of the battery and make sure its at least 12.6v, if its a little under thats fine, but the voltage cannot be less than 11.5v's. If you measure around 10v or less you have a dead cell.
Also, note to everyone, keep your batteries spotless, especially on top. Voltage will leak across the top of a dirty battery and drain it. I have 7 batteries in the back of my store recharging because they were just dirty.

Quick Reply: D1 Won't Start; Rapid Clicking Noise