Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

damn lower radiator hose

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damn lower radiator hose

So, I'm on my way to eastern Washington with the whole family in the disco and pulling a travel trailer when all of a sudden I see a cloud of white smoke behind me. My first thought is head gasket, so I pull over and POP the hood and there's a steady stream of coolant pouring out of a small gash in the lower radiator hose, right where the smaller hose from the tank joins the bigger hose.
I'm about 5 miles north of north bend wa sitting on the side of I90 assessing my options. Thank god for smartphones. There's an oreillys back in north bend but it doesn't open for another two hours so I put some Goop over and will let it sit until they open.
If they don't have a lower hose, should I try one of those hose repair kits, anybody use one? The hole is in an awkward spot where the two hoses meet.
Anybody in the area that has a spare hose wanna meet me somewhere nearby?
Thanks all

Old 06-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That really stinks, i just replaced mine and my old one is sitting in my shed. I am in south Jersey however. I doubt the hose repair kit will do any good, good luck.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If they do not have your specific hose you can use a standard hose without the little hose coming off of the bigger hose, that smaller hose goes to the heater,

Old 06-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If they don't have he right one you could Mc Guyver a lower hose on eliminate/bypass the heater and reservoir and coolant return hoses, remove radiator fill plug, disconnect the upper hose, fill till coolant comes out, reasemble and pray.
If it makes you feel any better
I had to do a roadside a/c compressor clutch repair on my Volvo using plastic bread bag clips and some tools i bought from a small Sears appliance center. I did this each day on my 9 day road trip.

Best of luck and remember It's always an adventure (with a few detours) with a Land Rover

Old 06-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
If they don't have he right one you could Mc Guyver a lower hose on eliminate/bypass the heater and reservoir and coolant return hoses, remove radiator fill plug, disconnect the upper hose, fill till coolant comes out, reasemble and pray.
If it makes you feel any better
I had to do a roadside a/c compressor clutch repair on my Volvo using plastic bread bag clips and some tools i bought from a small Sears appliance center. I did this each day on my 9 day road trip.

Best of luck and remember It's always an adventure (with a few detours) with a Land Rover
That's not a bad idea, I would rather have a solid lower radiator hose without the extra connections than take a chance with a crappy repair

Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

As a 96, have all the hoses ever been replaced, might want to do it right cause adding one new hose to a batch of old hoses raises the pressure to the older hose and you may have another issue soon.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Three Wheeling

That's a good point

Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Three Wheeling

So while I'm under the truck, looking at the hose connections, I notice that the passenger side front tire is extremely worn on the inside. It didn't look like this yesterday. I've put about 500 miles on this thing before this trip and haven't noticed any abnormal wear until now.
Could this be caused by towing the trailer or does it just need an alignment?
The rest of the tires look fine.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Towing a trailer has nothing to do with that tire wear, you need a alignment.
Replacing all of the radiator hoses is a great idea when you are home, not on the side of the highway with cars whizzing by at 90mph.

Quick Reply: damn lower radiator hose