Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

The death of disco.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry The death of disco.

After being hit head on by a drunk driver last week I finally spoke to an adjuster
today and I am pretty sure they are going to total it.I purchased the 96 just under a year ago and have put in around $3,000 getting it to where I wanted it.
I have a feeling I am going to lose out on this one.Any advice?I have all my receipts and paperwork.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Unfortunately most autos are insured under actual cash value policy, and not replacement cost policies. So it doesn't matter what you've got in it in most cases, they just look up what a similar year and miles vehicle is worth in the books.

I've got my defender insured with an agreed value policy, so there won't be any question what I get if they total it.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

That really sucks, brother. No advice just a "I feel your pain" and good luck

Old 11-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is always one of my worse nightmares. All the times and mods and some dumb idiot smashes and destroy your hard work.

Maybe strip the modification parts off?

Old 11-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

To me the worth in your Rover was who was sitting in it with you at the time. You both walked away which is a testament to the condition your brought your truck to. The effort and love you poured into it saved your truly most important project to date.

I'm bummed by the fact that you lost a good friend but it earned the Silver Star in protecting a daughter and her father.

I know you'll go through withdrawal for awhile but things happen for a reason and the reason is probably going to reveal itself in a short while. Do it again and this time your armed with a ton of knowledge.

Do you have USAA? They will replace if you can show the receipts. They are without a doubt the best there is.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Sorry to hear, but second the sentiment about your family being safe.

Can you keep the car if they scrap it? Buy another and now you have the parts car you always needed/wanted!

Good luck, interested to know if they let you keep it.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys,just venting a bit.I am very thankful we were in that tank and all are well.It is just sucks to have to do all the leg work to get the insurance company to get the ball rolling.It took almost a week just to get a rental car.He had Geiko insurance and I should get the verdict tomorrow.On a side note the stock bumper is pretty impressive on the D1.
It only bent slightly and about ripped his entire front end off.Will try to upload some pics tomorrow.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Damn man. That's horrible. Your build thread was awesome. Yea I'd take off all the specific parts you've replaced. Look for another to build. Glad you guys are ok.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Unfortunately most autos are insured under actual cash value policy, and not replacement cost policies. So it doesn't matter what you've got in it in most cases, they just look up what a similar year and miles vehicle is worth in the books.

I've got my defender insured with an agreed value policy, so there won't be any question what I get if they total it.
Actually, you can get a rider for replacement of any add-ons. Funny part, my add-ons are worth more than the land rover. But the good news is if you have receipts for what you have done all add to the value. Don't take the first offer they give you. After the Moore tornado, they offered my daughter $9000.00 for her 07', but owed $15,000.00 & didn't listen to me about the gap insurance. By the time I was done negotiating with them, the loan was clear.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife totaled our '00 Ford Ranger in an accident she was very lucky to survive (that Ranger saved her life), and the insurer came back with an offer of a little more than $6k. By the time we were done, they ended up paying just under $9k. Just keep after them. Show them all the receipts and mods. If you can, see if you can find sales of any similarly modded Discos to help establish a value. I had to do this with my E28 BMW that got hit after I had installed euro bumpers/lights and other mods. I found the supporting sales and the other party's insurer paid, although it was somewhat of a struggle to get them to. Just keep pushing the insurer, they really don't care about a couple of thousand dollars one way or the other in the big picture and in my experience will give you a fair value if you are insistent and are willing to wait them out. They usually want to get the physical property claim out of the way in a certain timeframe, and if you stick to your guns eventually they will pay the right amount just to close the books on it. The final week we made them wait on the Ranger resulted in a $1k bump in value, they just kept saying they needed to get it finalized. Best of luck and glad it protected you!

Quick Reply: The death of disco.