Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Death Wobble Steering Components

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Death Wobble Steering Components

Just thought I'd write out a thread that covers what you need and list my questions at the same time so you don't have to search for all the "Death Wobble" threads. I'll do a write up later when I do it. (I feel bad since I've been gone for awhile and I want to contribute again )

This is my list to buy:
3 Right Hand Thread Tie Rods
1 Left Hand Thread Tie Rod
4 Clamp Kits for the Tie Rods
2 Pan Hard Rod Bushings
2 Pan Hard Rod Bolts
2 Pan Hard Rod Nuts
4 of each Swivel Pin Shim (.003, .005, .01, .03)

Some questions:

Tie Rods:

I need 3 RH and 1 LH. Is delphi a good brand? Or ALL MAKES? I was planning on ordering from Rovah Farm because it's $20 vs $25-$40 on Atlantic British and Rovers North. I don't mind spending the extra money if they are tried and true but if Delphi will perform just as well then I'd rather save the $5 each tie rod.

Swivel Pin:
There are two swivel pins that need shims:The upper left and right swivel pins. Correct? And I start with the thicker shims and move up till I get the correct pull strength?

Disclaimer:
The reason I got the clamp kits and new bolts and nuts is for my peace of mind, you don't have to do that.

Last edited by calebbo; 04-11-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In order to do this right you should replace the lower bearings, Railco bushings and the upper thrust bearings and races. At the very least get the races and thrust bearings for the uppers. You can remove all the shims you want but it won't make it better if the thrust bearings are hammered to bits. Plan on getting some seals too if you dig in.

Rovahfarm is real hard to beat.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Pro Wrench

Are the thrust bearings the same as needle bearings? And which seals?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Rock Crawling

Yep, the thrust bearings are the little needle bearings that the upper swivel pin rides on. You'll need 2 of the races also for each side, assembly is race/bearing/race. Swivel housing seals will need to be replaced if you do the lower bearings. If you just focus on the upper pins and preload make sure you support the steering knuckle so you don't damage the existing seal, it's going to drop when the upper pin is removed.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I've used the Rovahfarm middle price ball joints with good results. I can't remember which ones they are.
x2 on the swivel bearings. You'll want new hub seals in case you mess up yours, plus the swivel seals, gaskets etc.
You can probably reuse your existing shims.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Pro Wrench

The swivel parts are confusing me. Here are pics and descriptions of what I'm not sure buy.

Swivel Pin Kit:

Kit contains: top swivel pin with seal and retainer for ABS sensor, top swivel pin bush, thrust washer for top pin, one swivel bearing, 9mm thick swivel seal - 'Corteco', inner seal - 'Corteco', bottom pin gasket, gasket swivel to axle tube and 7x assorted shims.

or buy these:

2 shim kits:

Swivel Pin Housing Seal Kit
(how many? I'm guessing 2: Complete kit of seals and gaskets to overhaul one swivel Pin Housing - mixture of Corteco and Allmakes seals

2 Need Bearings:

4 Thrust Washers (are these the races for the bearings you were talking about?):

2 Railco Bushings:

Should I buy 2 kits and the bushings or just these separately?

Old 04-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Rock Crawling

The races and needle bearing go in the Railco bushing assembly, race/bearing/race. The end of the swivel pin sits against the last race, this is where the preload is set. The pin sits on the race, by removing shims you are actually drawing the knuckle upwards, loading the lower swivel bearing.

The swivel pin kit has all you would need to fix it right.

IF the swivel pins are good, with NO damage, AND the Railco bushings are ok, AND the area the first race sits in is NOT damaged, AND the lower bearing is good,.......you could get away with the needle bearings and races and shims.

I would just get the swivel pin kits since you are doing the whole 9 yards with ball joints and bushings.

What usually happens is the upper bearing(needle) gets pounded out and ground to bits, damaging the Railco bushing housing. Replacing the races and bearing doesn't work because the race bends to conform to the damaged area and wipes out the needle bearing again. When the upper gets loose so does the lower, and the lower starts to get pounded apart.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 04-11-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Yes it does.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Pro Wrench

Alright so swivel pin kits it is!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Pro Wrench

Wait so am I messing with the lower swivels too? How many swivels are there upper and lower? If I mess with the lower swivel pins don't I need to remove the caliper and hub assembly? I just want to get my steering corrected and tight not tear down stuff I dont need to.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Steering Components