Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Deer Tick Infestation In My Disco?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deer Tick Infestation In My Disco?

I've used repellent to keep em off but how about I have a nest or 10 inside my Rover. I told you guys I live on a hunting plantation. I know Conn. is bad for them so hopefully someone will know a trick. I can't just go in with a bug bomb or it will damage all sorts of electronics. Any thoughts guys? I'm guessing a hog dog or a hunter brought them in and they enjoyed the damp climate as well as the carpet.

Last edited by jacumja; 04-20-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"Moth *****", I know it smells bad, but Moth ***** will rid all pests. Buy a box for two or three bucks and toss-em everywhere. They will disintigrate in about a week and the smell goes away. I'm in the ARMY and always place my uniforms in a plastic trash bag with Moth ***** before going out to the field. Always keeps the ticks, chiggers and mosquitos far away from me. Also use them in my storm shelter to keep the spiders out, works perfect. Moth ***** for any pest related problem.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LRD2&ME
"Moth *****", I know it smells bad, but Moth ***** will rid all pests. Buy a box for two or three bucks and toss-em everywhere. They will disintigrate in about a week and the smell goes away. I'm in the ARMY and always place my uniforms in a plastic trash bag with Moth ***** before going out to the field. Always keeps the ticks, chiggers and mosquitos far away from me. Also use them in my storm shelter to keep the spiders out, works perfect. Moth ***** for any pest related problem.
I do the same thing with my uniforms before going to the field. Everyone laughs at me says I smell weird but at the end of the day I wasn't eaten alive by anything like everyone else who laughed at me.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys. If the owner of the plantation was still around I'm sure he'd have something that would get em gone and it would involve a swig of VO. I drove down to the feed store and they all said to shake Clorox Bleach powder all over the truck and pour some liquid into some tupper ware dishes. Leave it all inside and seal up the truck for a day in the heat. Said the boric acid in the bleach would kill anything in there. I however will roll with the moth bolls because that sounds like a more manageable smell.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cedar chips. Smell better, work as well as moth ***** ;-) Also heard mint leaves will do a pretty good job, but I've never tried them. As for the bleach powder, I'd be afraid it would get damp and discolour anything cloth or fabric in there.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:45 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Black Powder....fill up the truck and toss in a match....or, the moth ball one sounds like less fun and slower procedure. But you would still have a Disco after it was over. Cedar might work. I burn lots of cedar(about 2 cord this winter) but still had spiders in the wood pile(not sure if that is relevant).

Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First, yank the carpets completely out, they just hold moisture anyway.

The aromatics in cedar keep bugs out of cedar, don't know if it would do much unless you use a heck of a lot.

Boric acid is available in a squeeze bottle similar to talcum powder. You could try white vinegar sprayed in there.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:23 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
You could try white vinegar sprayed in there.
My wife loves using Apple Cider Vinegar. Smells great and cleans everything. Vodka is also a good cleaner/disinfectant...

Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy some of the cheapest Vodka you can find, like in a plastic gallon jug, put that in a spray mister and spray it all down, that should do the job. I saw that on one of the TV shows on cleaning. Forgot all about it until I saw the above comment.

I would also just yank the carpets out, they merely hold dirt and moisture and grow nasty things underneath including rust as well as mold and possibly bug infestations as you are having.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:18 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Buy some of the cheapest Vodka you can find, like in a plastic gallon jug, put that in a spray mister and spray it all down, that should do the job. I saw that on one of the TV shows on cleaning. Forgot all about it until I saw the above comment.

I would also just yank the carpets out, they merely hold dirt and moisture and grow nasty things underneath including rust as well as mold and possibly bug infestations as you are having.
Yeah...someday I will get around to yanking the carpets on mine and rhino- lining the floor. I hate it on warm days when the moisture fogs up the inside of the windows.

Quick Reply: Deer Tick Infestation In My Disco?