Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Defender brakes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its that big a difference though? autozones got 20% off right now, so everything will be 250 ish. I mean the stock brakes are pretty crappy, thats why im asking lol

Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
There's no "few other things" You need two 12-18" brake lines with the fittings already on from any parts store. They're $5 a piece. Bend them by hand.
Wham bam stop on a dime.
Ok, good to know, thank you for setting me straight.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bigger calipers, vented rotors...big difference. Plus stock disco brakes blow with larger than stock tires. At least mine do. As brett said its a no brainer if your replacing them anyway.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Ok, good to know, thank you for setting me straight.
Anytime brutha!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Probably gonna do it, otherwise when I do later the one caliper I buy now would be a waste of money. Other solution is a junk yard caliper, which will be next to nothing but far from me.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The answer is YES night and day difference. I got the whole kit from Justin at L8 for around $350. Worth every penny if not more. rerouting the brake line isnt a big deal infact you can do it in less than a min with your bare hands.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

They are worth it. I did it when I was completely redoing my brakes anyway.
Name:  components-1.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  47.5 KB

Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered the parts from Justin before I left for the Marines last year. They were sitting outside in the weather for all of 11 months before my family realized it was a package for me (the currier had brought it to the back door for some reason which we never use.) Justin is a great guy! He wrapped it up in so many layers of plastic that I opened the soggy packaging and found my rotors and calipers to be brand new looking still. The pads have a little rust on them but that's no big deal. Question: I have my stock disco calipers on and I bought the +2" SS brake lines. Will these work with the new defender calipers?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
I ordered the parts from Justin before I left for the Marines last year. They were sitting outside in the weather for all of 11 months before my family realized it was a package for me (the currier had brought it to the back door for some reason which we never use.) Justin is a great guy! He wrapped it up in so many layers of plastic that I opened the soggy packaging and found my rotors and calipers to be brand new looking still. The pads have a little rust on them but that's no big deal. Question: I have my stock disco calipers on and I bought the +2" SS brake lines. Will these work with the new defender calipers?
Yes you can use them. The rubber or SS hoses go from the fender area down to a bracket on top of the hub area. Then the hard line runs from that bracket into the caliper, be it stock Disco or D90 style.

I would NOT recommend trying to rebend your old rigid brake line. You're just asking for problems. And for the $10 to replace both why even bother. Depending how the rust is in your area you may find the fittings too corroded and an open ended wrench just slips off. If you have new hardlines to go in you can just cut the old line right by the fittings, then stick a socket on the fittings and turn them out.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by fishEH
Yes you can use them. The rubber or SS hoses go from the fender area down to a bracket on top of the hub area. Then the hard line runs from that bracket into the caliper, be it stock Disco or D90 style.

I would NOT recommend trying to rebend your old rigid brake line. You're just asking for problems. And for the $10 to replace both why even bother. Depending how the rust is in your area you may find the fittings too corroded and an open ended wrench just slips off. If you have new hardlines to go in you can just cut the old line right by the fittings, then stick a socket on the fittings and turn them out.
Meh I reused my old lines for months but they were obviously I good shape. I swapped In new ones when I did the Toyota conversion

Quick Reply: Defender brakes worth it?