Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Did some thinking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did some thinking.

Did some thinking, and some theorizing.

Came to the conclusion that any vacuum leak, would have an effect on any vacuum operated devices. Which is why my wipers never worked well on my old Rambler, that and other reasons...

so, a vacuum leak at the Distributor, could and more than likely would, affect the vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator.

My original diagnosis was that both were bad. The Vacuum advance unit was definitely bad, diaphragm leaking. So, that would theoretically, cause lower vacuum pressure at other places.

So, I replaced my Vacuum Advance unit, reinstalled my fuel pressure regulator, ran new vacuum lines here and there, took a good long look for any suspect vacuum lines, replaced them, then, I started her up.

She started better than ever before, and after 10 minutes of running and getting up to temperature, I was waiting for the tell tale stumble before she konked out. Well, I'm happy to report, that stumble never came. I let her run for another ten or so, revving her up periodically... smooth idle, smooth increase in rpm. so far so good.

Drover her to the gas station, got her $20 worth of fresh premium. She started right back up, better than ever before, well, since I've owned her.

So, I'm going to drive her to work tomorrow, 20 miles round trip, and I'll report more then.

Knock on wood, I think she's sorted!

Old 11-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah a small vacume leak can be like a bad ground in the electrical system. One little leak and it can throw the whole system up.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is a classic example of...

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid

Glad to hear all is well.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
This is a classic example of...

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid

Glad to hear all is well.
believe me. The whole time I was thinking about this, my Grandfather's voice was in my head. "What are you doing that for? Why are you just throwing parts at it? You know, that thing on your shoulders isn't just a hat-effin-rack!" <expletives deleted for "G" rated audiences>

She started right up this morning, now for the ride to work. Fingers crossed.