Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

diff lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default diff lock

Can someone please explain to me what the diff lock is on my transfercase? It has H and L and then I can move it to the left to diff lock. I barried my Discover to the frame a few weeks ago in the snow. I figured since it was called diff lock it would lock my diffs but it didn't.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

You have full time four wheel drive. Because you are driving both the front wheels and the rear wheels at the same time, there needs to be a way to let them spin at different speeds, for situations like going around corners. To do this, there is a differential between the two drive shafts. This works great on pavement, but if surfaces get too slippery, all of the power will go to the wheels that are slipping. With the diff lock (center differential lock) engaged, it makes the front drive shaft and the rear drive shaft spin at the same rate. It essentially acts like a regular 4x4 that is in 4x4 at this time. But just like a conventional 4x4, you still have open diffs in the axles, so you can still have one wheel spinning on each.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jafir
You have full time four wheel drive. Because you are driving both the front wheels and the rear wheels at the same time, there needs to be a way to let them spin at different speeds, for situations like going around corners. To do this, there is a differential between the two drive shafts. This works great on pavement, but if surfaces get too slippery, all of the power will go to the wheels that are slipping. With the diff lock (center differential lock) engaged, it makes the front drive shaft and the rear drive shaft spin at the same rate. It essentially acts like a regular 4x4 that is in 4x4 at this time. But just like a conventional 4x4, you still have open diffs in the axles, so you can still have one wheel spinning on each.
Gotcha is it really beneficial offroad?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

it's almost required off road, unless you have traction control. If you try to go up a steep hill with the CDL open, all of your weight is on the rear tires, and the front will slip very easily, and you'll go nowhere.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Mudding

Interesting. It can be engaged in both H and L?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rover11
Interesting. It can be engaged in both H and L?
Yes that's right

Old 03-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I have a 95 Discovery. If the Discovery is all the time in 4 wheel drive how do you lock in the Diff?

Thank You
Walter

Old 03-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Center Diff is locked by moving the shifter toward the driver's seat, unlocked is toward passenger's seat. It moves several inches and should move freely, if it does not then the linkage is "frozen". See the other thread on this subject.

Also note: do not engage on dry pavement or with wheels spinning freely. Lock it BEFORE you get it stuck. It is great off-road and should not matter whether you are in hi or low setting since that is a different linkages essentially sharing the same shifter.

All you new guys need to download the RAVE and read up on your "new" Rovers.

The Ford Bronco is a lot different. I had a 96 XLT Bronco.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by 95rover
Hi
I have a 95 Discovery. If the Discovery is all the time in 4 wheel drive how do you lock in the Diff?

Thank You
Walter
Are you sure you have the diff lock feature?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rover11
Are you sure you have the diff lock feature?
All DIs have a locking center diff and linkage. They phased them out in the DIIs, but I can't quite remember the years...something like 00 to 03 I think. Or did they do it from the beginning of the North American DII rollout?

Argument was that the lever was hard for people to understand, and traction control made it unnecessary.

Ha.

Quick Reply: diff lock