Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Diff Selector Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011 | 01:54 PM
|
Winching
Default Diff Selector Question

So for those who have torn into their diff I have a question. I have looked at the RAVE extensively and I feel pretty confident pulling off the Hi/Low Selector assembly as it appears to simply be a few bolts and off it comes. My question is are there any tricks or tips? I am not gonna pull it off and some hidden spring flies out and I have no idea where it goes, or some tiny gear that I don't know how to align properly falls off something right? It is simply the assembly and the selector finger inside right? The reason I ask is that my diff selector assembly works like butter so shifting into diff lock is no problem but I can not move into low due to a frozen Hi/Low selector assembly. I have removed everything up top to access everything and I even cut out a panel like DannyLee did way back when (because I like the idea of an access hatch for future work so I don't have to pull all of the console stuff out) so I am ready to remove the assembly. Like I said I just don't want some surprise I am not prepared for. It is a simple removal, free the selector finger, grease, and reassemble. Any hints, tips, or suggestions are appreciated. This is the last major mechanical issue I need to fix. After that I get to actually address some of the cosmetic issues and work toward a lift.

Old 08-09-2011 | 02:58 PM
Old 08-09-2011 | 03:41 PM
|
Winching

Thanks. Didn't really give me a good view of the one part I need to remove and I am already that far into it but thanks for the help. It is a good video for those who haven't dug into the console thus far.

Old 08-09-2011 | 03:46 PM
|
Winching

The part I am referring to is part number 3 on page 410 of the RAVE. Designated the Hi/Low Ratio Cross Shaft Assembly. Part 4 is the part that will not move on mine. The actual diff lock (side to side action) is perfectly fine. Requires no effort to shift into diff lock it's just the hi/low action that is frozen.

Old 08-09-2011 | 03:59 PM

i know what you are referring to, it's not that bad. just get in there get it loose clean it up lube it and re-install.

you have tried rolling while trying to shift hi to lo? right? mine i have to roll a little then it goes.

Old 08-09-2011 | 04:51 PM
|
Winching

Yeah I tried the roll and shift several times. Trust me that baby is frozen. I will dig into it tomorrow. Thanks for the help hilltopper.

Old 08-09-2011 | 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Old 08-09-2011 | 04:59 PM

i would buy a used one if i had 2. but it should just be frozen from years of underuse.

Old 08-09-2011 | 05:15 PM
|
Winching

I will know tomorrow if it is repairable. If not it will just keep sitting until I can replace it. I have only driven it for about a month out of the last year and a half I have owned it. Love it but wouldn't trust it to get me to the end of my dirt road right now.

Old 08-09-2011 | 05:39 PM
TReK

If you haven't already removed the linkage from the transfer case you might want to consider removing the linkage WITH the hi/lo cover. In other words, that part that connects to the linkage that controls movement in and out of hi/lo. The cover is affixed with six bolts (IIRC they're 10mm). You should have good access based on that panel you mentioned you cut out. That way you can fight with removing the frozen pin clip and bushings that hold the linkage to the hi/lo lever with everything out of the truck. It's just easier doing it that way rather than while everything is still attached. I hope I made this understandable. If not, let me know and I'll be happy to provide more detail.

Quick Reply: Diff Selector Question