Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Diff Selector Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011 | 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

I've never had one that was a problem, but from reading things here, it's usually the CDL that freezes up from lack of use. If the high low is stuck it's usually the solenoid. I think most people just remove them.

Old 08-09-2011 | 05:44 PM
TReK

I just sold someone an LT230. It worked fine while I had it. The mechanic is claiming the hi/lo lever is bent. I am sending him another along with another linkage because I have a feeling he may have been a bit aggressive during installation. Anyway, if there is any distortion in the lever or linkage it could be a source of trouble.

Old 08-09-2011 | 05:47 PM
TReK

This is another reason why I recommend that people remove the linkage with the hi/lo cover. It is so much easier to separate the linkage, pin, clip and bushings from the hi'lo lever when all of these parts are out of the truck. When that pin is rusted in place you can easily damage the clevis end of the linkage.

Old 08-09-2011 | 07:57 PM
|
Winching

That's what I am actually doing. It's not the linkage that is frozen. All of my linkage parts are in good shape and moving freely. It is actually seized inside the hi/low housing. Those six bolts are what I was talking about removing so that I can free the seized part inside that small housing. I will try to take some pics and do a write up when I am done so that others can see what I am talking about.

Old 08-09-2011 | 08:02 PM
|
Winching

Based on what I am reading here it may be my solenoid. Jafir you mentioned just removing the solenoid but isn't it necessary to actuate the hi/low function. I am still gonna disassemble since I am already right there and make sure everything is in peak condition.

Old 08-10-2011 | 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

It is actually there to prevent you from using the high low function.

From the RAVE workshop manual:

A shiftlock device is fitted in some territories, it is used
as a park facility and prevents accidental gear
disengagement when the ignition is switched off.

Old 08-10-2011 | 01:38 PM
|
Winching

So after a dismantle and cleaning of the hi/low housing and removal of the solenoid I still have zero movement. So I guess my next move is to tear into the actual diff, clean it up, and rebuild it.

Old 08-10-2011 | 02:40 PM
|
Winching

Has anyone actually had to work on the hi/low selector fork (part 5 pg 410 RAVE)? I really want to get this working but I am afraid that I am going to have to completely remove the entire diff from the vehicle and tear it down. Any thoughts from anyone? I really don't want to have to go that far into it but I will if necessary.

Old 08-10-2011 | 03:02 PM
|
Winching

Finally! Success! After putting it back together I realized I hadn't tried the roll and shift since breaking it down and cleaning it up so I went out and the first time there was some resistance but now it is shifting in and out of hi/low like butter. My CDL works flawlessly. I am going to have to replace the hi/low solenoid though. I believe it is bad. And the neutral sensor is bad as well but everything will operate with the neutral sensor bad. The bad solenoid though apparently will keep the diff from shifting into and out of lo. Just wanted to report back and close up the thread. Thanks for the help guys. I am pretty elated right now. I am going to pull off the front plate of the diff and take a look inside as it looks like it was pretty neglected and so I may need to kinda clean it out and refill the fluid to help re-lubricate everything. Again, thanks for the help and consider this thread closed.