Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Differential Housing Case

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Removable, but only with a cutoff wheel.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Do not use chlorinated brake cleaner to clean the metal
When heated it produces fumes that are are almost instantly and permanently toxic to your nervous system.
Ditto...cough, cough. Don't ask how I know.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

All is well guys, the oil already leaked out so I didnt have to drain it :P
Right as I pulled into the shop it started making the grinding noise..
But we welded it shut, added new oil, and drove it around the parking lot. Tell you how it all goes tomorrow. Wish me luck

Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default lost cause...

You did not inspect the inside of the diff housing?

Just welded it shut and hoping for "luck"... WOW

Last edited by Cosmic88; 01-26-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Pro Wrench

Well I couldn't..I was training for a competition in Skills USA beginning of February.
It was 10 last night and we were at my school. Welded it shut, he followed me home (no issues btw), and drove to school the next day. No issues so far. I have to find some time to do that, plus I need a shop to work in. The school only let's us on certain days and I don't know any mechanics or friends with shops over here.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, the grinding was likely a $15 bearing that will end up costing you a hundred or two plus towing charges when it disintegrates and takes out your whole diff.
Just so you know.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by antichrist
Well, the grinding was likely a $15 bearing that will end up costing you a hundred or two plus towing charges when it disintegrates and takes out your whole diff.
Just so you know.
My thought exactly

Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Excuse my directness, but I am sure you really screwed it up. You should never try rocking it by shifting it from Drive to Reverse. That is not the way to treat a Discovery.

You should have taken the time to understand the Center Differential Lock and made sure it will engage before you find your self needing it. Simply engaging your CDL should have extricated you with very little problem.

You have a pending disaster on your hand with your quick fix. And the price to repair will continue to climb exponentially the longer you abuse it.

Have Fun as You Learn!

Old 01-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Pro Wrench

So what I should do as to not have rising items to repair and a deflating wallet is take off the front axle assembly and check the differential inside the housing cover.

What am I looking for when I get to the differential? And what is this bearing that you are talking about?

This is seeming more and more complicated and to be honest I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

EDIT:
And what is service tool
LRT-51-003?

Last edited by calebbo; 01-26-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Excuse my directness, but I am sure you really screwed it up. You should never try rocking it by shifting it from Drive to Reverse. That is not the way to treat a Discovery.

You should have taken the time to understand the Center Differential Lock and made sure it will engage before you find your self needing it. Simply engaging your CDL should have extricated you with very little problem.

You have a pending disaster on your hand with your quick fix. And the price to repair will continue to climb exponentially the longer you abuse it.

Have Fun as You Learn!
I don't mind directness, I just want to figure this out before something worse happens. I couldn't engage my CDL into low.. It was already in high. I slipped into a ditch. In the 5 seconds it took to slide in I didn't react fast enough to put it in low. I put it in low when I could. Tried to drive out and I could not get any traction. The snow was melting under my tires and mud was flinging backwards. My "quick fix" was the only thing I could do at this time. But I'm not getting mad, I'm just saying that I can't do that much at the moment.

Quick Reply: Differential Housing Case