Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco 1 Fixes and Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 02:36 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 1 Fixes and Upgrades

Greetings all,
Still somewhat of a newb on going after my 1998 Disco 1 50th Anniversary edition, I'm interested in making appropriate, tested, and clean mods that are classy, yet practical.
  1. I have managed to break the front of the in-dash Coin Tray (the felt lined one.) It is just the front plastic facia that I've broken, the rest of the component can be removed and reinserted without issue. I've tried to find a replacement (Part #BTR6625LNF) but noone seems to have one and it is discontinued. It appears to use the same opening as the Clock Assembly. Does anyone have a cool idea for using that space that still looks classy and as close to original as possible? Or, does anyone have a replacement for that Part?
  2. Speaking of the Clock - I've replaced that digital clock several times, and can't figure out why it constantly goes bad. I have seen Analog Versions from time to time but I can't find any online. Anyone have any ideas where I can buy one?
  3. Time to replace my original Stereo Head unit, and want to put something with a Apple Car Play capability along with a slide out/slide up display so that I can impress my kids. I've seen a Pioneer version that is supposed to be the "best" replacement unit, but I'd like to hear from someone who really knows first hand if it works and what works best. Any thoughts?
  4. I'd like to put on a Brush Guard - do I need to buy new, or is this something that I can buy used, and if so, any thoughts on where and what is the best product for the dollar?
  5. My front Driver and Passenger seats have split their seams on the bottom cushion. I can't find any articles on having them repaired/the leather replaced. Does anyone have some guidance on this?
Thank you all in advance for your advice and patience with me!
I'll try to make it up to you all!

Old 11-29-2021, 07:28 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty much any of those items on the dashboard (ashtray, clock) can be found on ebay. I would also check Facebook Marketplace for people parting out their Discos. I believe the analog clock is for the Range Rover Classic, and I’m not sure it functions with the Disco without modification.

I have a Kenwood head unit, works fine. More important than the head unit, if you want quality audio, would be to replace the original speakers (not that hard).

My driver’s seat was torn to shreds, so I ended up buying a leather seat cover from a Ford truck sewing it on myself. You could try putting a leather patch over the split… or a seat cover might be the simplest solution, unless you want to take it to a professional upholsterer.

Last edited by ononomos; 11-29-2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

RRC clock is out of a 95 and it's pretty hard to find them now for any less than a bar of gold. Easy to wire up though.

Last edited by Best4x4; 12-01-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:57 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ononomos,
You rock. Thank you so much for your complete response.
Argh.
I'll look at the Kenwood option. I like the Pioneer that is pushed in lots of places, but I'm a fan of hearing first hand from someone who has more than theory behind their recommendations.
And I'm guessing I'll go the Local Upholstery route as I do want the seats to look good. I wish I could find the Seat Cover Kit that is either the original or looks much like the original as I could do it myself....maybe it is time to quite being such a DIY'er and give some work to a pro.
Again, tons of thanks!

Old 11-30-2021, 02:02 PM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

some have posted favorably about lseat.com for new seat covers.

Old 11-30-2021, 03:07 PM
Winching
Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Find a breaker - that is your friend

Old 11-30-2021, 08:19 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
some have posted favorably about lseat.com for new seat covers.
their service is annoying, they don’t respond. My replacement from Lseat is in good condition, but a pain in the butt to install, very tight fit.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:23 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

DiscoNewbe, that is good to hear (sorta). I take it you are happy with the finished product, difficult as it may have been to install. Could you please post a picture or two? I am going to need something soon.

Old 12-01-2021, 01:57 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
DiscoNewbe, that is good to hear (sorta). I take it you are happy with the finished product, difficult as it may have been to install. Could you please post a picture or two? I am going to need something soon.
it does look good, I feel like the only other alternative is paying exponentially more for replacements.

below are some pictures I just happen to have on hand. It does seem like the material stretched out a bit with use getting rid of some of the wrinkles you see in the picture. I would say you have to be careful installing, I did feel once or twice a stitch give out from being too forceful.

The following users liked this post:
WaltNYC (02-08-2022)
Old 12-01-2021, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Friend grabbed me some parts off a 95 RRC LWB today!! Got the unicorn analog clock for 6.00 in mint condition, the RF passenger kick panel (holds the owners manual unlike a D1), the 4.2L V8 14CUX ECU, and the 4.2L stamped upper plenum.

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (12-01-2021)