Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also pretty new to Discos, but as a rule ZF auto transmissions are pretty highly regarded and durable. Knowing Rover uses ZFs was a big relief to me with the Range Rovers I've owned and this Disco.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have 206k on my tranny with zero problems, still shifts smooth as silk too.
ZF (thats the brand) makes trans for BMW, Rover, Mercedes, Jag, bulldozers, offroad dump trucks, cranes...the list goes on.
These transmissions are bullet proof, keep the fluid pink and it will last forever.
Change the filter soon after you get the truck and then just do a drain and fill once a year, it will cost you $15 and the trans will outlast you.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I really want a 5spd. My Land Cruiser with auto SUCKED!!! I have read alot about the D1's and there were some engine improvements when they bumped it up to 4.0 in 1996 I think. Thats why I'm looking at 97-99 D1's. You must really love the Mrs to let her have the 5spd!!

Originally Posted by Long Haul
I have about 178xxx on my 99 without any transmission problems. I think the trans and the transfer case are almost bulletproof in these trucks with proper maintanance. As far as power goes my 99 is a major turd on the highways and big hills, but 33-12.50s will do that lol. The Mrs's has a 5 speed and its a lot nicer to drive power wise. As far as slipped liners thats mostly on the DII's with 4.6's, i havent heard of many issues with DI's dropping sleeves but it is possible.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I have 206k on my tranny with zero problems, still shifts smooth as silk too.
ZF (thats the brand) makes trans for BMW, Rover, Mercedes, Jag, bulldozers, offroad dump trucks, cranes...the list goes on.
These transmissions are bullet proof, keep the fluid pink and it will last forever.
Change the filter soon after you get the truck and then just do a drain and fill once a year, it will cost you $15 and the trans will outlast you.
BMW also sourced transmissions from GM in the 90's to early 00's for many of the 6 cylinder models. Gotta beware of those, because the trannies are notorious for failure on the GM ones. ZF trannies are highly regarded in the BMW world.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaggySE7
Thanks! I really want the 5spd but its black. UGH. I like silver and white! The auto with 105k is silver and looks nice so I will look it over when I go see it. He stated it overheated before and he took it to a mechanic and that the Tstat and coolant were replaced with no further issues?? I will be looking for the tell tale signs of head gasket issues for sure on that one. Are there any particular years that have had the slipped sleeve issue or can that be accross the board with all disco's? Anyhow I really would like to hear from all who have D1's with reports of milage and trans issues or wonderful success stories would be even better! On a side not my Toyota Land Cruiser was a dog with an automatic. How are the disco's? And I wish I could afford a defender!!!
I would recommend getting your rad rodded, change out the water pump, be careful of the RH long bolts being frozen into the block, (trust me about this) change the fan clutch. If it overheats after that, you've got head issues. From what I've read, the 4.0's don't normally drop their sleeves unless you really f'em up. I know the later D2's with the 4.6 had major block issues back in cyl 7 if I remember correctly since they used the same block and bored it out so major heating issues. Mines a DD for now so I'm hyper aware of any changes in running, idling etc. Can't wait for it to be my weekend warrior so I can tear into it and not worry.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by E36 Phantom
BMW also sourced transmissions from GM in the 90's to early 00's for many of the 6 cylinder models. Gotta beware of those, because the trannies are notorious for failure on the GM ones. ZF trannies are highly regarded in the BMW world.
I did not know that.
I do know that GM, Ford and Mopar cannot build a transmission to save their lives.
GM and Ford get their trans from China now.
In my job if you have a Ford you dont even bother changing the trans fluid, just run it until it dies then have it rebuilt.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I really want a 5spd. My Land Cruiser with auto SUCKED!!! I have read alot about the D1's and there were some engine improvements when they bumped it up to 4.0 in 1996 I think. Thats why I'm looking at 97-99 D1's. You must really love the Mrs to let her have the 5spd!!

Hers is the DD and mine is mostly just a trail rig. Honestly I drive truck for a living after goin though 15 gears up and down day in and day out Id sooner put it in gear and go. I had a 4 speed GMC truck it was more of a pain on the trails then anything. Call me lazy but I preffer my automatic.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the 5spd I found is gone. I have been trying to get this guy to set up a meet time with me the last 3 days. He is 3 hours away and I told him just let me know what time you get home from work and I'll be there. Oh well. It was black and I really don't like black vehicles. I had a black Z28 once and it was a PITA to keep it looking good.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Team Owner

I had a black Z28 once and it was a PITA to keep it looking good.
Thats because it was a Chevy.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the 5 speed in my SE7. Lots of power available and fun to drive!

Quick Reply: Disco Automatic